Hats off to Hatton's shop counter staff.

Free At Last

Excitedly unwrapping my Xmas presents from my daughter the excitement waned as I took the off wrapping paper from one package to reveal some Bachmann boxes. I have always said to my son and daughter never to buy me any model railway items as I wouldn't like them to buy me something I wouldn't buy myself, but I was surprised by the items being of the correct era/region.

My daughter said she wanted to buy me something for Christmas that I wouldn't be expecting and passes Hatton's on her way home from work so she went in and said to the staff member she knew I modelled something in particular but had no idea what, so they looked up my account and was able to advise her on suitable items.

• Like 11

I agree with Trains4U. A very similar story was recounted to myself very recently. Asked at computer station in the public area what they were looking for. Tapped details into a computer with the purchaser behind them. Asked for Post Code, searched and the customer saw a neighbours details and said that wasn't them but it was a neighbour.  I know for a fact that the neighbour is unaware that their details have been viewed on a computer screen.

I agree great ingenuity at this time of the year.

But also very dangerous under GDPR or any other rationale. I wouldn't want anybody giving in my post code and discovering which one of my neighbours had accounts at Hattons.

Sorry.

On the one hand this sounds great and meant you got a present that you would like meaning happy parent and happy daughter.

On the other hand, does that mean anyone can walk into Hattons claim to be a sibling and get access to someone's buying records.

I would assume it was only the counter staff who saw the account and advised accordingly.

Why do you think they would show a complete stranger a customers account details?

I would assume it was only the counter staff who saw the account and advised accordingly.

Why do you think they would show a complete stranger a customers account details?

That is exactly what happened. See my post above. The computer was on a desk facing the customers. The computer screen faces out into the public area and is not behind a counter.

I hadnt read your post when I posted, hence quoting an earlier post.

If Hattons are indeed allowing random Customers to see account details then they had better be very careful.

Edited by royaloak

This is what's wrong with the World someone shares a Christmas story about his daughter and Hatton's doing something nice and everyone just jumps in and looks for the bad parts some very sad people about.

Plus apart from the people who were there no one knows what happened

Edited by stock_2007
  • Like 3