Digital Tax Ready?

Widnes Model Centre

On 04/02/2019 at 08:04, Widnes Model Centre said:

No communication however from HMRC. We have had three letters sent to us on how to prepare ourselves for a "No Deal Brexit". We import direct from Germany and will need to literally jump through hoops to enable us to continue with importing direct. Import Licence, Haulier Licence, inform HMRC as to what we intend to do etc, etc. So they are preparing us for something that might occur, but not something that is happening and soon.

Although somewhat off-topic this paragraph got me interested. 

I can't see any need for you to need an import licence for any product a model shop would import (unless you have a side-line). Like-wise"haulier licence" - new one on me unless you're talking about hazardous goods maybe?

Initially all you'll need to do is make sure you have registered for an EORI number (effectively an enhanced VAT number).

If you want any advice I'm happy to help. I've worked in the freight forwarding industry since 1990 and Customs consultancy is a big part of what I do.

Edited by admiles
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, admiles said:

Although somewhat off-topic this paragraph got me interested. 

I can't see any need for you to need an import licence for any product a model shop would import (unless you have a side-line). Like-wise"haulier licence" - new one on me unless you're talking about hazardous goods maybe?

Initially all you'll need to do is make sure you have registered for an EORI number (effectively an enhanced VAT number).

If you want any advice I'm happy to help. I've worked in the freight forwarding industry since 1990 and Customs consultancy is a big part of what I do.

Hi admiles,

The information I put on here came direct from a letter we received from HMRC, it was all to do with, how to deal with a "No Deal Brexit". Since then I have been informed by members on here that is not the case and is as you have stated.

The only product we Import from the present EU is from Revell in Germany. These are class as "Toys" so not hazardous unless you put them in the hands of some modellers!!

Many, many thanks for your offer of help. I may well call on you if I am having any further "difficulties".

22 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hi admiles,

The information I put on here came direct from a letter we received from HMRC, it was all to do with, how to deal with a "No Deal Brexit". Since then I have been informed by members on here that is not the case and is as you have stated.

The only product we Import from the present EU is from Revell in Germany. These are class as "Toys" so not hazardous unless you put them in the hands of some modellers!!

Many, many thanks for your offer of help. I may well call on you if I am having any further "difficulties".

Seems to be different advice going around. 

If you Import / Export with the EU you may well need an EORI - not difficult to obtain if you are VAT registered.  The advice was that as we import from Europe - Heljan for example - then we would need an EORI. Export was an interesting point as we do send products to the EU for customers.  So the advice was that to made 100% sure get an EORI. 

As to Revell we obtain their products from Revell GB so no need for an EORI.

But anyway the can has been kicked down the gutter again so no one really knows what will or will not have to be undertaken to still trade with the EU.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Deltic said:

Seems to be different advice going around. 

If you Import / Export with the EU you may well need an EORI - not difficult to obtain if you are VAT registered.  The advice was that as we import from Europe - Heljan for example - then we would need an EORI. Export was an interesting point as we do send products to the EU for customers.  So the advice was that to made 100% sure get an EORI. 

As to Revell we obtain their products from Revell GB so no need for an EORI.

But anyway the can has been kicked down the gutter again so no one really knows what will or will not have to be undertaken to still trade with the EU.

You WILL need an EORI number - simply because that identifies you as you on the import customs declaration. And as an export customs entry needs to show who is exporting you will again need an EORI number

You will need to provide a commercial invoice and preferably a packing list. For imports you will also need to provide a copy of the transport document (CMR or bordereau for truck, air waybill for an air shipment,  b/L or sea waybill for ocean  - this means road hauliers will have to start generating pieces of paper again.....). I have a feeling the B/L number or AWB number needs to be supplied on an export entry, but don't quote me on that one... 

Also an HS commodity code or codes to cover the goods 

Though export entries are a good deal less sensitive than import declarations, because the export entry is basically a statistical exercise and HMRC do not collect money...