New Modeller GWR Question

Hi All,

I wonder if someone could help me identify what the black and white painted posts are for near the signal box on the photos attached are are please ?

They appear to be in two pairs a couble pair of taller posts with a single smaller post opposite, both have lamps on ?

The station is Wombourne on the GWR Kingswinford branch.

Any helped greatfully recieved !

Thanks

Stevepost-34434-0-15549100-1546800166.pngpost-34434-0-33596400-1546800299.png

• RMweb Premium

It’s a token catcher / holder:

One post has a “cows horn” and net, the other post has a lantern on it.

The shorter post was the holder of the token to be collected by the engine crew.

On page 93 of “The Heart of the Great Western” by Adrian Vaughan there is a photo of the same equipment at Didcot East Jn for receiving the token off the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Branch.

Photos of the equipment in use are on page 103 of “A Pictorial Record of Great Western Signalling” also by Adrian Vaughan.

Edited by Banger Blue
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It’s a token catcher / holder:

One post has a “cows horn” and net, the other post has a lantern on it.

The shorter post was the holder of the token to be collected by the engine crew.

On page 93 of “The Heart of the Great Western” by Adrian Vaughan there is a photo of the same equipment at Didcot East Jn for receiving the token off the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Branch.

Photos of the equipment in use are on page 103 of “A Pictorial Record of Great Western Signalling” also by Adrian Vaughan.

Banger Blue thats excellent thank you .... ! Just got to work out how to model it now

• 9 months later...

Hi Steve,

Others have correctly identified this as single line token equipment. If it helps, I have the original plans - that should help with modeling it.

Drop me a personal message if you would like them.

Richard

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have vague memories of someone once doing a whitemetal kit of token equipment.

The most obvious candidate was Mainly Trains, but either I'm wrong or that wasn't part of the range that went over to Wizard Models.

Second most obvious candidate was Mikes Models, but my attempt at Googling was thwarted by there being a model aircraft and car shop also named Mikes-Models that turns it into a needle-in-a-haystack job.

I did, however, discover that Duncan Model makes a very nice version in 7mm.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, mike morley said:

I have vague memories of someone once doing a whitemetal kit of token equipment.

The most obvious candidate was Mainly Trains, but either I'm wrong or that wasn't part of the range that went over to Wizard Models.

Second most obvious candidate was Mikes Models, but my attempt at Googling was thwarted by there being a model aircraft and car shop also named Mikes-Models that turns it into a needle-in-a-haystack job.

I did, however, discover that Duncan Model makes a very nice version in 7mm.

Your first guess is correct, it was Mainly Trains MT243, I have a set in the "To Do" pile.

cheeers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Presumably this was used at the end of a single track section where the line became double track and the token was given up rather than exchanged  and not at a loop where one had to be given up and another collected. 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2019 at 11:01, DavidCBroad said:

Presumably this was used at the end of a single track section where the line became double track and the token was given up rather than exchanged  and not at a loop where one had to be given up and another collected. 

At a loop, where two trains pass, at least one of the trains would have to stop anyway, so the tokens could be handed over manually.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 14/10/2019 at 15:08, RichB said:

Hi Steve,

Others have correctly identified this as single line token equipment. If it helps, I have the original plans - that should help with modeling it.

Drop me a personal message if you would like them.

Richard

Rich I have done .... note to self check blinking spam folder !