Class 23 main board

tomfisher

Fitting sound to a Heljan class 23 and needing to drill a hole in the main chassis, I removed the circuit board and motor, carefully identifyinf the position  (so I thought) of the plugs connecting to the main board.  Shock horror there are three plugs at each end and four sockets.  Trial and error has already cost me one new lighting board.  Could someone advise.  A clear picture would be good.

I did not keep photos of mine when I did the conversion but I did use this guide here which has some pics that could help you determine the wires:

http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/heljancl23dccinstr.htm

For my sound conversion, I used a small round speaker, blue tacted to the roof, facing downwards which was load enough. So cannot comment on unplugging the wires as I had no need too. Pay attention to the 8 pins, mine went through the plug and shorted on some metal on the other side!

My first 23 had a faulty lightbox, but I brought a spare from Howes. This is going back to 2014 though.

Body removal leaves me with bad memories, along with the tender body of Sir William Stanier of being the hardest to do. By the time I finished getting it off, i had to order spare lamp irons and bogie parts to repair it. With this in mind, I am sorry I cannot help more by taking pictures of mine.

But a sound fitted 23 is well worth it.

Edited by JSpencer