Far Wittering - inspiration from a 1984 Railway Modeller

Booking Hall

Thanks Steve. I made a few more trees last night and temporarily placed them at the front of the layout this morning. Although I still like the idea, I think they're maybe a bit too much, even at the wide spacing. Also, if 'Far Wittering' ever attracted the attention of a photographer from one of the magazines, they would seriously cut down the available views. So I think, at least initially, I'll just put post and rail fencing along there (the Scale Model Scenery type I've already used, not the crude Airfix stuff on the picture). I can always add the trees later if I have a change of mind. So these trees will go along the rear to help blend the backscene to the foreground.

001a.jpg

003a.jpg

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

nice model but the wind pumps needs the etching support around the blade removed 

DSC_3983.jpg

PATB_windpumping_Kitjito_Windpump..JPG

Nick

Thanks Nick. I did wonder about that. The instructions didn't mention removing it, so I looked at some picture of the real things. Most of them seem to have a supporting hoop to keep the blades at the correct angle, although not external to the blades as on the model, so I left it on. Cutting it off now might be tricky without distorting the 'fan', but thanks for mentioning it. I'll make a final decision just before I fix the backscene in place.

3 hours ago, steve45 said:

Are you going to tone down the green of the trees, they are a tad bright IMHO?

Hi Steve, thanks for mentioning it. It's always good to have another opinion, especially as I'm a bit colour blind (a LOT colour blind, according to my wife!!) I was going for a late spring/early summer season, hence the sprinkling of white 'blossom', so the leaves would be a brighter green, but the choice of what I put on was dictated more by what I had in stock than anything else. I'll get my wife to look at it and follow her advice :D.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest progress photo. I've fitted the trees against the rear fence line - after checking with my wife regarding the colour. She pronounced them as OK for a springtime scene and who am I to argue with that! They do appear a brighter green in the photos. More post and wire fencing added and the backscene fitted. I did attempt to snip off the windpump vanes supporting ring, but it was really going to distort them, so I took discretion to be the better part of valour and abandoned the attempt. The baseboard is now turned round so i can start the scenic treatment at the front.

247a.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just found Far Wittering and read through the thread.

Your modelling is excellent: it's subtle and understated, and full of character and observation. I'm amazed by the corrugated iron cladding on the station building, the water tower, and the post and rail fences in particular - all excellent techniques that I need to try out!

The layout as a whole is the sort of inspiration I've been looking for for a BR(W) backwater micro, so please keep the photos coming!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/12/2019 at 13:46, 2996 Victor said:

Just found Far Wittering and read through the thread.

Your modelling is excellent: it's subtle and understated, and full of character and observation. I'm amazed by the corrugated iron cladding on the station building, the water tower, and the post and rail fences in particular - all excellent techniques that I need to try out!

The layout as a whole is the sort of inspiration I've been looking for for a BR(W) backwater micro, so please keep the photos coming!

All the best,

Mark

Thank you for those very kind words Mark, I'm glad it's helping you with your project. As requested, here are some more photos.

271.JPG

273.JPG

276.JPG

277.JPG

279.JPG

280.JPG

282.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Static grassing has now continued along the front of the layout, reaching as far as the stream cutting before I ran out of my basic grass basecoat. Hopefully my local model shop will obtain fresh supplies for me in a day or two. In the meantime I assembled the remainder of my Scale Model Scenery post and rail fencing kit, only to find that I'd underestimated the length required and I am short by around 18". Not wishing to place an order just for one more kit, I realised that by careful cutting up of the fret from which the fence and posts are laser cut, I could double the length of fence supplied, so further supplies were made without recourse to another order. These need staining with wood dye and can then be installed in the previously grassed areas. 

Other deliveries from the postman included a tin bath, which will be used as a cattle trough, and a ready built Slaters MR 8T van, picked up on Ebay at a bargain price.

262.JPG

267.JPG

268.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I really like the last few pics The backscene looks good, where did you get that? apologies if I've missed it. You've got a fine layout there, it's got a real off the beaten track feel about it, great stuff!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, sb67 said:

I really like the last few pics The backscene looks good, where did you get that? apologies if I've missed it. You've got a fine layout there, it's got a real off the beaten track feel about it, great stuff!

Hi Steve, I don't think I mentioned where I got it from. It's an 'N' gauge one from Art Printers https://www.art-printers.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA__HvBRACEiwAbViuU_kEiFd2YPcJQiPpFkMTNUpxI-4lzU-B77f6mPDRqy8JE8_yrZ4MfRoCTjgQAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Booking Hall said:

Thank you for those very kind words Mark, I'm glad it's helping you with your project. As requested, here are some more photos.

271.JPG

273.JPG

276.JPG

277.JPG

279.JPG

280.JPG

282.JPG

Many thanks for posting the extra photos, it really is a super layout! Definitely inspirational stuff :) please keep the photos coming!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

As I'm still waiting for further supplies of static grass, I decided I would make a few of the details I will need to complete the scene. Firstly a couple of 'BEWARE OF TRAINS' notices. These are from Scale model Scenery and I've mounted them on some code 75 bullhead rail, with the top rounded as was often done. After a bit of weathering these can be placed either side of the footcrossing passengers will have to use to get to and from the platform.

Next up are some telegraph poles. A light railway like this would probably only need one wire, but I'm going to model two just because I like the look of two! Some of you may know that I've a thing about telegraph poles, and the correct modelling thereof!, so for these I've adapted some old Airfix poles. Although the Ratio ones have nicer step irons, the Airfix ones correctly represent the taper on the pole, but otherwise they need a bit more work.  The stages are:

1. A pole as Airfix made them (Dapol still make them, but the mouldings are not so crisp these days, and the plastic they make them from is more flexible. As I'm going to add 'wires' the stiffer Airfix ones will be better).

2. The step irons and three crossarms have been removed, and the pole shortened at the top.

3. A chisel top filed is back onto the pole top, the moulded insulators filed off the remaining crossarm, the step irons stumps filed smooth and the spare slot Airfix mould into the pole for additional crossarms filled and filed back to shape.

4. The crossarm drilled, and turned brass insulators from Express Models fitted. On the final pole, the one adjacent to the station building, I will bend the insulator spindle into a 'J' shape as this was common practice where a telephone line terminated to a 'lead in' to a building. I haven't replaced the step irons.

The poles will be painted to represent that silvery-grey look that weathered timber acquires. Once installed on the layout one of the final jobs will be to add 'wires' using fine green E-Z line elastic thread.

288.JPG

287.JPG

Edited by Booking Hall
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Three of the telegraph poles are now installed, as are the 'BEWARE OF TRAINS' signs. The 4th TP will have to wait until the final area of static grass is done. I sneaked into my local model shop on Christmas Eve (when I was supposed to be out delivering cards and presents!) to see if fresh stock had come in, but he'd forgotten to order it :(.

The poles were roughened up to give them a bit of texture, and were then coloured using grey, black, white and brown pastel crayons, smudged together with a cotton bud, and then very lightly and patchily dry brushed with Humbrol Gunmetal metallic paint. The result is OK, but I think it could be better. It's an area I will have to experiment and practice with.

Since I can't do a whole lot more now until more static grass appears, i think I will build some stock.

290.JPG

291.JPG

292.JPG

• Like 7

The postman delivered a bargain price ready-built Slaters MR brake van today, so I posed it on Far Wittering with the MR goods van and a Hornby three-plank and  open cab pannier picked up cheaply from the club second hand equipment store. It has that 'light railway' look I've been after, a concern making do with hired or purchased superannuated rolling stock from a variety of sources.

I have to say, that most of my layouts have been planted very firmly in the BR steam/diesel changeover period, and I never thought to model anything else, but this scenario, set perhaps in the late 1930's or mid 1940's, has really caught my imagination, with its adaptability to run all manner of bits and bobs together with private owner and converted stuff.

003.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...