Making corrugated iron

• RMweb Gold
On 05/03/2019 at 07:53, justin1985 said:

Great tips here! What materials are people using for the sheets themselves?

I've seen people mention the thick aluminium from metal takeaway containers before, and pretty sure I've also seen the metal that caps the top of cork sealed wine bottles recommended! (Both sound like excuses to consume ...)

Is it possible to get plain rolls of thicker metal foil? I've noticed that all of the normal Alu foil I've got from supermarkets over the last year or so has had a chequerboard pattern in it - presumably adding strength without thickness in some way? Certainly rules it out for this kind of use.

Justin

Just happened across this thread by accident.

A modelling friend of mine was doing this with aluminium foil many years ago to make roofing sheets (impression of tiles). In his case, the prototype came from a kit rather than as a standalone item.

Thick foil won't work. It is not flexible enough to impress the detail. P-A's "trick" was to quickly spray the foil pressing with a matt varnish which stiffened it up nicely.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/05/2019 at 04:42, BWsTrains said:

this is what you need:

K&S HO Scale .002 Aluminium 5x7" Corrugated Sheets - 2 sheets

2 pristine sheets for a very modest price hardly seems worth the effort to DIY ,

Colin

Hi Colin,

This sounds good but I couldn't find a UK supplier? Lots of Australian sites, but I can't afford the postage!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Martyn

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, martyn11post said:

Hi Colin,

This sounds good but I couldn't find a UK supplier? Lots of Australian sites, but I can't afford the postage!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Martyn

Sorry, I'm in Australia, it's an American product if that's any help. try Amazon.com??

• Thanks 1

On 07/05/2019 at 04:42, BWsTrains said:

this is what you need:

K&S HO Scale .002 Aluminium 5x7" Corrugated Sheets - 2 sheets

2 pristine sheets for a very modest price hardly seems worth the effort to DIY ,

Colin

And supports a manufacturer...

On 10/05/2019 at 20:03, martyn11post said:

Hi Colin,

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Martyn

In UK 4D model shop have corrugated sheet (various size corrugations) in various materials - lead, brass, aluminium and styrene. 

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop?term=corrugated sheet

Also Ambis engineering copper (?) sheets were mentioned previously, available from Hobby holidays.

John

6 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

This is the cheapest I have ever found in the UK (if you don't want to make your own) :

https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/scratch-build/building-paper-card-sheets/Plastic sheet/Plastic-Sheets/Clear-matt-Ribbed-sheet

Hi Mike,

at 1.3mm thick that's ~100mm full scale and I suspect may be too obviously "thick" installed with overlays. Then the K&S sheet is so thin it's hard not to get unwanted tiny bends at the corners of roofing. One thing that doesn't scale is the robustness, I'm planning to conceal this as best possible when weathering.

A trip to the Australian hill country this last weekend has given me plenty of input and ideas on realistic rusty galv, sheds, they were to be seen everywhere.

Colin

12 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Mike,

at 1.3mm thick that's ~100mm full scale and I suspect may be too obviously "thick" installed with overlays. Then the K&S sheet is so thin it's hard not to get unwanted tiny bends at the corners of roofing. One thing that doesn't scale is the robustness, I'm planning to conceal this as best possible when weathering.

A trip to the Australian hill country this last weekend has given me plenty of input and ideas on realistic rusty galv, sheds, they were to be seen everywhere.

Colin

True Colin, but having looked as much as I can, the K&S corrugated sheets do not seem to be available in the UK. Although there are plenty of K&S UK suppliers, none of them seem to stock the K&S "Foil" under which the corrugated sheets are classified on their US site. I wonder if this is due to their fragility? But I guess they could be bought via Amazon or similar?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

True Colin, but having looked as much as I can, the K&S corrugated sheets do not seem to be available in the UK. Although there are plenty of K&S UK suppliers, none of them seem to stock the K&S "Foil" under which the corrugated sheets are classified on their US site. I wonder if this is due to their fragility? But I guess they could be bought via Amazon or similar?

They are fragile but are very well packaged with a stiff card to protect them. Perhaps it's just a question of demand, I face the same issue in Aus (in reverse) with things readily available in UK not here. Believe me, I get the worse end of that!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2