Improving Hornby's LNER A4s (4468 'Mallard' 1986-1988)

gregpokes1/Camden

Hi, all!  I'm beginning a new thread here on improving Hornby's OO gauge LNER A4s.  More specifically, I am improving my own stock example of Hornby's 2018 release of the R3676 'Mallard' in as-preserved livery.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post in here with your own tips, tricks, and project related to any OO gauge A4!  My goal is to detail my own 'Mallard' to 1986-1988 specifications when she ran.  I've got Brassmasters detail parts and front bogie etch coming soon along with a "MALLARD'88" headboard and "RESTORATION SPONSORED BY SCARBOROUGH BOROUGH COUNCIL" custom etches within the next few weeks.  The main connecting rod and crosshead have been replaced on both sides of my model using parts from a Bachmann A1.  The only other modifications are painted details.  Paint REALLY can bring a model to LIFE!  I've installed a speaker into the tender and am waiting for a SWD ESU Loksound V4 decoder to arrive.  The speaker is from a donor MTH HO scale steam loco (Arguably the best speakers for size in ANY OO/HO loco) and the tender shell is being sealed off as the speaker's baffle.  A support coach (FNRM 35362) that ran behind her during the mid-late 1980s is also being customized through TMC models.  The cylinder drain cock pipes WILL be replaced once the Brassmasters bits have arrived and will be made from copper wire.  This project is looking up!

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7578.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 months later...

Quick question - are the double chimney holes the same size? Its hard to tell on retailer pictures, but I sense that Hornby have retooled the chimney. The original D/C had the forward chimney larger diameter than the rear one. This was the biggest non-understandable shortcoming of the Hornby A4 (aside from compromise over valances for 2nd rad curves).

• 1 year later...
On 05/03/2019 at 20:43, gregpokes1/Camden said:

Hi, all!  I'm beginning a new thread here on improving Hornby's OO gauge LNER A4s.  More specifically, I am improving my own stock example of Hornby's 2018 release of the R3676 'Mallard' in as-preserved livery.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post in here with your own tips, tricks, and project related to any OO gauge A4!  My goal is to detail my own 'Mallard' to 1986-1988 specifications when she ran.  I've got Brassmasters detail parts and front bogie etch coming soon along with a "MALLARD'88" headboard and "RESTORATION SPONSORED BY SCARBOROUGH BOROUGH COUNCIL" custom etches within the next few weeks.  The main connecting rod and crosshead have been replaced on both sides of my model using parts from a Bachmann A1.  The only other modifications are painted details.  Paint REALLY can bring a model to LIFE!  I've installed a speaker into the tender and am waiting for a SWD ESU Loksound V4 decoder to arrive.  The speaker is from a donor MTH HO scale steam loco (Arguably the best speakers for size in ANY OO/HO loco) and the tender shell is being sealed off as the speaker's baffle.  A support coach (FNRM 35362) that ran behind her during the mid-late 1980s is also being customized through TMC models.  The cylinder drain cock pipes WILL be replaced once the Brassmasters bits have arrived and will be made from copper wire.  This project is looking up!

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7578.jpg

What paint (make/number) did you use for the polished steel handrails, tyres buffers etc?

It looks really good and I am about to bite the bullet on detailing my own Mallard to 1988 condition!