Remaining signal boxes on the Peterborough to Lincoln joint line.

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was just wondering if there are any remaining signal boxes (working, non working and preserved) on the Peterborough to Lincoln joint line.  I was told there was one still standing at Spalding, so I took a quick trip there to try and photograph it but struggled to find it.

I’ve looked on Flickr and Google but no luck.

Only ones left are Littleworth and Blankney (Metheringham). I understand the local community wanted to adopt St James Deeping but it was demolished 'by mistake'.

There's High Street and East Holmes still in place, but disused, in Lincoln as well as Sleaford East and West in full use which is on the joint line for passenger purposes.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

Only ones left are Littleworth and Blankney (Metheringham). I understand the local community wanted to adopt St James Deeping but it was demolished 'by mistake'.

There's High Street and East Holmes still in place, but disused, in Lincoln as well as Sleaford East and West in full use which is on the joint line for passenger purposes.

Thanks for the information and it gives me some useful ideas.  I could put a signal box on my layout and say that it’s preserved or being restored.

• RMweb Premium

Spalding went long ago didn't it? As before the resignalling and upgrade to divert freight off the ECML, including the Sleaford avoider, the only late trains ran between Peterborough and Spalding only, controlled from Peterborough?

IIRC there was a box just north of Spalding station off Pinchbeck Road at a level crossing, then Blotoft just south of Helpringham, again a level crossing out in the fens, and following that the four Sleaford boxes, and then the Metheringham one mentioned above.

Most of those boxes were only open part time when I lived in Ruskington (2000s) except for Sleaford West and East which were required for the Grantham - Skeggie line.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1