Ian Smeeton

My original intention was to use DPDT slide switches to physically switch the points, and , somehow, to energise the requisite crossings.

And my version above was designed to do exactly that using one slide switch changeover contact per point, could use two DPDT slide switches if the mechanics works a crossover off one switch. Izzys version is similar and also does the job but uses more gaps in the triangle are on each side of the central diamond. With hand made scale track its much easier to build these without gaps as the triangles are quite small.

But if you already built it with gaps then either version is equally good.

Note if both crossovers are reversed you get to drive through on the preferred route but not the other unless you add an additional switch.

Note that in an unsignalled yard situation there would most likely be a hand lever for each point set by the shunters. But they don't have to worry about crossing polarity.

NB. One other small difference between Izzy's version and mines that when operating all 4 points to cross my version allows one cross route to work, Izzy's will short on both routes. But changing just one wire would make them both the same.

Regards

Edited by Grovenor
added a bit
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

Okay, this is the wiring/operation suggestion that I have made to Ian.

ian_smeeton_scissors_wiring_diagram.jpg.d023b62145b2b1ab8dedf4bca3ae7025.jpg

which is no different from

Scissorss.JPG.2de6e3d8a6287f5da6281b322a161550.JPG

Maybe I should have made it clearer that there are rail breaks where the circles cross the rails.

Andy

Edited by AndyID
Clean-up
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1