North Tees TMD & marshalling yard

AdamD98

Good evening all.

Having been lurking in the shadows for quite some time, only posting a reply here and there I thought it was about time I started a thread on my own layout and current project.

I am Adam, I live in Billingham Teesside and have been fortunate enough to have spent my younger years in what I consider the best period for British Rail and in quite an iconic location too. Of course I am talking about Thornaby (TE) and it's vast marshalling yard, but not only Thornaby, we also had all the variety of trains coming to and from the huge chemical complex facilities on Teesside, Billingham, North Tees, Seal Sands and Wilton. Best of all, we had some fantastic trains to and from the steel works with a great selection of traction and rolling stock.

So my layout is taken from this. It is not designed to replicate Thornaby and surrounding areas, but it is certainly a nod to and displays many different but familiar rolling stock as seen during the late 80's to mid 90's.

I had a rough track plan, taken from locations around Teesside and I broke it down to fit the space I had available in the loft. This wasn't easy due to the layout of the loft, but I have worked with what I've got and hopefully once the layout starts to take shape, the roof supports will blend in and will go relatively un-noticed! 

Now the track plan may vary slightly as I go because I would really like to add certain features into the layout which really, there isn't room for, unless I go multi-level. The main depot (North Tees TMD) is the focus of the layout, with the marshalling yard to the North of the depot and if I go multi-level then I will be incorporating either a chemical works or an oil terminal. There may just be enough room for a through station, like the single platform at Billingham but we shall see.

I have laid and tested the TMD and marshalling yard so far and ran around each end of the loft into what will form the fiddle yard.

I will add some photo's tomorrow to try and give an idea of what I hope to achieve. For now, there is a photo of 37 004 which is installed with a Legomanbiffo sound chip and was based at TE for a short while.

Thanks for reading and keep an eye out for my YouTube channel and Instagram page (which some of you may already be following).

Take care! 

IMG_20190310_170127.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I used to go over the viaduct twice a day if not more during my working life, sad to see what you are doing is mostly gone. Quite a number of steamers used Thornaby when going to and from NYMR.