Bachmann Queen Mary brake, too small?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

Thanks for the link , tho unfortunately, grrr..they don't show a photo of the actual piece and I couldn't find an obvious pic of their model on t'internet , if you've used them yourself happily, that's a good recommendation.

I realised that the solitary ratio component is just that,  a component part of the whole, the Bachmann version does look a tad chunky by comparison tho!

If I'm going to get replacement bogies as they're missing anyway, I may as well get something reasonably accurate..!

Agreed, and one of my Bachmann Bulleids ran on Ratio bogies for several years until the recent refurb. They rock fore-and-aft on plastic pivots, which I thought might prove a little delicate but they lasted well. I have another pair as yet unmade and will probably use them under a QM.

Close to, they do look better, but at my usual layout viewing distances (2-3ft), I couldn't really tell the difference. Nobody else ever commented on it so I assume they couldn't either. I therefore took the easy option when replacement became necessary.

I've used MJT-Dart Castings bogies (LNER Fox pattern and GWR American) on other models and can thoroughly recommend them - you get nice fold-up brass subframes (choice of compensated or rigid) and cosmetic sides etc. in whitemetal. You just order the brass frames of the required wheelbase and the sides of your choice. Brake shoes are sold separately so presumably not everyone bothers to fit them. A recent addition to the range is a neat fold-up NEM pocket to fit the rigid frames if required.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

Thanks for the link , tho unfortunately, grrr..they don't show a photo of the actual piece and I couldn't find an obvious pic of their model on t'internet , if you've used them yourself happily, that's a good recommendation.

There are some under my Thanet 3rd and 2-Bil - photos are here, but they don't show the bogies very well:

The masters were done by the late Alistair Rolfe, and everything he did was of a very high standard. 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There was also a fair bit of ballast in the wells under the floor too, so probably just a poor design outright?

Mike.

I was not impressed with it; even the LNER had to couple a couple of vans behind it to stabilise it for the fast fish and other fully fitted traffic on the ECML.  The Midland van was a better rider, but the truth is that none of what we were using in the 70s was much good, and only the Queen Marys had ever addressed the problem of poor ride at fast freight speeds.  

To summarise:-

.BR (ex LNER) standard, the most common type.  Poor ride, draughty.

.LMS.  Ride not so bad, less draughty but inward opening doors impossible to seal against draughts and large cabin took longer for the stove to warm up.  Poor outside visibility though end windows when you were sitting down.

.SR Pillbox.  Unmitigated horror.  Rode badly enough to shake the lamps out, defeating a good part of the object of having a van in the first place.

.SR Queen Mary.  Rode like a pullman which meant that the bodywork did not 'work' and become draughty in the first place, but rare as rocking horse doodoo.

GW toad (for completeness, taken out of service in early 60s).  Very solid double skinned construction cabin, well draughproofed, said to ride well, but fundamentally flawed by single veranda and having to go outside to access the brake.  Very poor outside visibility and dark cabin.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Having had a look, the quoted Bulleid ones are certainly what's on the QMary , the grey side is from the Ratio kit, hence my feeling they were a bit different, minor removal surgery reqd to the Bachmann ones if the Ratio version is correct.

( I've only got the one solitary side hence the need !)

Obviously the brake shoes are a bit silly on the Bachmann bogie!

IMG_20190330_115802_555.JPG

Make your own mind up https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srbogiebrakevan/e2d7b8afd

Paul

• Thanks 1