Bachmann 37 nose replacements (old tooling nose to new)

Morning,

Apologies if this has already been asked elsewhere on the forums. I've got an old Bachmann Regional Railways 37 (the one without the working tail lights) and I've realised how badly shaped the nose is compared to my other more recent models is. Is it possible to fit a new nose end to these or is the shape too different for it to be an easy swap?

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for that Dave.

I'm more getting at whether the shape of the actual body is slightly different? It's easy to source new ends, but don't want to invest in new nose fronts only to find they will be too big/small.

I have a Bachmann Regional Railways 37 429 and I must admit I never noticed that the nose is different compared with my more recent ones!  I must take a closer look later!

Would it be possible to unclip one from one of your later ones and try it on the RR one?  I'm not sure as I never removed any of the noses before!

In fact, by taking this picture, I've realised that my answer is no - it won't work. The bodies are different heights too.

The top corners are curvier than the newer toolings, and the whole thing is just generally a different shape. Guess it'll be a 'leave it as it is' job?

PSX_20190419_141232.jpg.95179f8df44ab307ee0045b38a8b7e05.jpg

Edited by JackB95
More text
  • Informative/Useful 1

If 429 is one of the first batches, without lights, I think you'll find that the nose is part of the body moulding. Later batches it was a separate moulding that could be detached.

Noticeable on your picture is that the nose on the LH loco is longer, theory has it that Bachmann made it longer to accommodate the light gubbins inside.

Also noticeable in the pic is that the upper horizontal of the bogie casting is deeper on the later model.

As far as buffer heights goes, its worth remembering that in 4mm the buffer centres should be 14mm above the top of the rail, equating to 3' 6'', tyre wear and spring softening might in practice lead the actual loco to sit a bit lower.

I don't know much about the cut valance locos, but on the first batches of green locos the buffer valance was too deep and the buffers sat too low, something that could be remedied with a bit of work by the modeller.

If you access "Silver Sidelines" blog on here there is a recent posting and discussion of the matter.

John.

Thanks for your comments John. Certainly sounds like Bachmann's 37 has had some interesting tooling changes throughout the years.

My model has headlights only, and the nose appears to be detachable too (can see join from underneath).

I've found the blog, so will have a read and see what I can get out of it. Very much appreciated!

• Friendly/supportive 1