Hornby Class 60 sound EM1 or EM2 speaker

Good evening folks,

i am after some advice on fitting sound to my Hornby 60033 Tees Steel Express please. . I have spent a lot of time on line and looked at the various speaker options. I would really like to fit an EM2 speaker but I am concerned about the available space. There is a large space designed for a speaker under the exhaust silencer but it doesn't look to be deep enough for the 14mm deep EM2. I am also aware that the speaker cones move out a fair distance when operating. Has anyone successfully fitted an EM2 into this space? I can see the possibility of milling out a limited amount of chassis material to assist with making more room, but this won't help with the speaker depth. To mill down further looks like it would impinge upon the motor flywheel and drive shaft.

One modeller on You Tube had fitted an EM2 at the other end of the chassis and had removed part of the cooler group to create a suitable space. My 60 has the circuit board located closer to this end soon this would require some modification. With this in mind, it would make more sense to use the space at the exhaust end.

i spoke to Charlie at DC Kits a while back and he said that an EM1 in parallel with an 8 Ohm sugar cube was another option.

i would appreciate any advice please. Many thanks.

John

2 hours ago, 37501 said:

i spoke to Charlie at DC Kits a while back and he said that an EM1 in parallel with an 8 Ohm sugar cube was another option.

Series.. NOT parallel !!

I have around 15 Locos in series working fine .. Parallel trips the decoder after around 20 seconds in some cases.. If there is space in the fuel tank then butcher that..  

55 minutes ago, 40034_Nick said:

Series.. NOT parallel !!

I have around 15 Locos in series working fine .. Parallel trips the decoder after around 20 seconds in some cases.. If there is space in the fuel tank then butcher that..  

The New V5 Decoders have a more powerfull amplifier, so they will tak a 4 Ohms & 8 Ohms speaker in Parallel as our show test track layout has various locos with EM2 - Sugarcube combinations with no issues.

Charlie

12 hours ago, charliepetty said:

The New V5 Decoders have a more powerfull amplifier, so they will tak a 4 Ohms & 8 Ohms speaker in Parallel as our show test track layout has various locos with EM2 - Sugarcube combinations with no issues.

Charlie

Oh nice one Charlie..