DRS Class 37 repaints

KDG

Hello all.

37419 has recently emerged from repaint in Mainline livery, its DRS Compass livery consigned to history.

It seems to be policy that DRS livery is being removed from their heritage fleet with 401 / 2 / 3 / 7 / 9 and 424 being in large logo livery too.

Is this to make them more attractive to the preservation movement - a prelude to them being disposed of, with loss of flask work, Cumbrian coast duties, and Norfolk trips about to end?  Or are we just lucky that someone in the DRS management likes heritage liveries?

Edited by KDG
To correct 419's new livery

• RMweb Gold

My guess is its 1step removed from negative publicity, whilst earning positive publicity.

If a 60 year old machine goes pop and ends up on BBC news, its a banger in BR Blue, not a Lemon in DRS livery.

But if it all goes well and gets lots of smiling faces on the platforms where enthusiasts are, no one complains, whilst word of mouth says its DRS.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the original plan was for one large logo one but as it looked so good more were done  

419 is actually mainline not intercity, that came about in the same way as the original large logo one.

When I get a BR liveried one I sometimes wear a BR uniform

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Also of Note is 37401 was repainted in Large Logo whilst at the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway and also 37403 was never owned by DRS it was on loan from the Scottish Railway Preservation Society of whom painted it Large Logo also (hence why "403" never gained a DRS Multi-Working Socket on it's Nose) Makes me wonder what 37405, 422 & 423 will appear in? I know 422 has had added extras to its plain blue it has small BR Arrows and a Stratford Depot "Cockney Sparrow" and all of it's Previous Numbers "6966", "37266" as well as "37422 & 422" it also carries a nameplate "Victorious" but from what I've seen it's on one side only lol