Steel Torpedo tipped over in South Wales

I well remember the accident on the Appleby Frodingham works in Scunthorpe, when molten iron from the Queen Victoria blast furnace was poured into a torpedo containing water.

Eleven men lost their lives. 4/11/1975

As for slag ladles..... we hated the damned things. They often passed when we were walking from the mess to work etc, and were to be avoided. Not just slop, but they could often erupt due to a bubble of gas which could chuck a few litres of slag skywards...

Edited by JeffP
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

'When molten steel hits a puddle' doesn't have the ring of 'When s**t hits the fan' but the effects are much more dramatic.

Fortunately no serious injuries.  The energy in molten steel or indeed slag is tremendous.

Edited by Dava
Colloquialism
  • Agree 1

It's the water as is the problem. Mix it with molten iron/steel, it INSTANTLY turns to steam at a high temperature, and thus occupies 1,700 times it's original volume...aslo instantly. The resulting volume change is the explosion and chucks molten metal everywhere.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Something similar happened at Aldwarke last year too as steel was being poured.  I believe the mould had rainwater in, which had the same explosive effect.  We heard the explosions from 10 miles away.

It happened in the latter days of the foundry my father worked at, BSC Landore, which manufactured  ingot moulds. The moulds used for the castings were made of sand, bound with molasses, then baked for a long period, before they encountered hot metal. Somehow, an incorrectly-dried mould was sent to the casting bay; the crane driver started to pour, and was killed by the resultant blast of hot metal.

• Informative/Useful 1