Hebden Exchange - Advice needed

Earl Bathurst

18 minutes ago, rka said:

Fair enough, but if it is roughly based in Yorkshire, the topography in the Pennine areas is very similar to the Brecon area, with similar colours to the vegetation (muted brown hills with lush green valleys) just a different shade of stone. Both beautiful parts of the country in my opinion.

With the backscene i was going to use just a overcast cloud but with your comments might go for a hilly option to give it that optical view of being hilly. 

I also note MIkes comments about highs and lows and think i will ,do some more research into the landscape

1 minute ago, Earl Bathurst said:

With the backscene i was going to use just a overcast cloud but with your comments might go for a hilly option to give it that optical view of being hilly. 

I also note MIkes comments about highs and lows and think i will ,do some more research into the landscape

Google Earth is your friend!

and its good to twist perspective and have a hill climbing up away from railway line into a town/village .

so crap drawing time.. say road infront of shops climed (right to lef) up toward the town square (in that station road way) that would have been promant in the town and usually higher ground. but best thing to remeber is that more than likley the town was there before the railway in some way at least in part. so land and alignment wont allways respect the rail line

what are  the two buildings on the left (a school, vilage hall church? )  

image.png.95d9ae87aa7e53f6b09e2bec5334acfe.png

can re draw it better if complx

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Earl Bathurst said:

Opinions required. I will be building a retaining wall against the back scene? On top do i put a row of shops or leave this area as just the retaining wall. The image gives a rough idea of position minus the retaining wall. I'm thinking without but open to suggestions

IMG-20190509-WA0002.jpeg.16dce00c09c5b9e951b212b955094705.jpeg

What are your suggestions/ thoughts?

As long as you don’t put the houses that are there now! They were built, I guess, in the 60s; and are the only blot on your/Hebden’s landscape. As a Welshman who lives in Hebden Bridge, I also am looking at your Welsh take on Hebden. The area is very reminiscent of the valleys, but the beer is much better. Halifax MRC (still?) have a layout of Hebden Bridge, somebody may have a picture of it? Also, there are plenty of layouts around which would give you an idea on ‘northern’ architecture: Hebble Vale, Glaisden, Eastwood, to name but a few. All the best with it, and I look forward to your progress. If you want to know anything about Hebden, pm me and I shall try and help. Dai Davies

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 88D said:

As long as you don’t put the houses that are there now! They were built, I guess, in the 60s; and are the only blot on your/Hebden’s landscape. As a Welshman who lives in Hebden Bridge, I also am looking at your Welsh take on Hebden. The area is very reminiscent of the valleys, but the beer is much better. Halifax MRC (still?) have a layout of Hebden Bridge, somebody may have a picture of it? Also, there are plenty of layouts around which would give you an idea on ‘northern’ architecture: Hebble Vale, Glaisden, Eastwood, to name but a few. All the best with it, and I look forward to your progress. If you want to know anything about Hebden, pm me and I shall try and help. Dai Davies

Thanks Dai. I will pick your brains when ready. The row of shops/ houses won't be used. I think a retaining wall and maybe a image of a row of stone houses might look better. To put low relief shops etc in that area would look a bit silly as space would be tight.

• RMweb Gold

Both Marsden and Slaithwaite (pronounced locally as Sla'wit) on the Colne Valley, a short distance from Hebden Bridge, provide the topography that you're looking for.

This is Marsden railway station as shown on Google with the railway cut into the hill side with a retaining wall on one side and the Huddersfield Narrow Canal to the other just out of view.

Looking east towards Slaithwaite and Huddersfield.

700992767_Marsden100520192RMweb.jpg.3bd2804eae49d94c23103bc456c1f39c.jpg

Looking west towards Standedge Tunnel and Manchester.

2008053884_Marsden100520191RMweb.jpg.528e2f4d734bc81fcce34826dce07742.jpg

A short distance to the east at Slaithwaite there's a row of stone terrace houses at the top of a steep drop to the railway line.  Slaithwaite railway station is to the left and below the level of the trees.

Looking west towards Marsden.

292835332_Slaithwaite100520192RMweb.jpg.a70b9e07b6ae69167845a507c05599ea.jpg

Map

1261632550_Slaithwaite10052019RMweb.jpg.5132cca5f3ea189c3beb66a9d1d9892a.jpg

I live in the area of your chosen layout.  Let me know if you need any specific photos of the area and I'll pop out and take some for you.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For what it's worth, I imagined a retaining wall from A1 to J1 with low relief houses above/behind it cutting the corner somewhat at A1, B1, maybe C1, then blending into painted houses from C1-rightwards as far as you wanted. With a road and pavement immediately behind the wall and in front of the houses and the foot bridge access from the retaining wall down to the platforms connecting to the pavement.

• Like 1

Remember also that this area is damp, very damp, sometimes ten foot deep damp. So lots of drain pipes, big run-off pipes, gulleys, open streams, stuff like that. Makes the scene more authentic and also allows a lot of ways to cover up joints in buildings, walls, edges etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Remember also that this area is damp, very damp, sometimes ten foot deep damp. So lots of drain pipes, big run-off pipes, gulleys, open streams, stuff like that. Makes the scene more authentic and also allows a lot of ways to cover up joints in buildings, walls, edges etc.

so green slim runs down walls... :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earl Bathurst said:

Some of building lined up ready for the platforms etc. I know the main station building might not be in keeping with the layout but I have a soft spot for it. It needs weathering next. 

20190511_121005.jpg

I would not worry about it - the station building is not so dissimilar to those in the Calder Valley. The colour schemes you have used look bang on, for BR NER. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/05/2019 at 10:23, 4630 said:

Both Marsden and Slaithwaite (pronounced locally as Sla'wit) on the Colne Valley, a short distance from Hebden Bridge, provide the topography that you're looking for.

This is Marsden railway station as shown on Google with the railway cut into the hill side with a retaining wall on one side and the Huddersfield Narrow Canal to the other just out of view.

Looking east towards Slaithwaite and Huddersfield.

700992767_Marsden100520192RMweb.jpg.3bd2804eae49d94c23103bc456c1f39c.jpg

Looking west towards Standedge Tunnel and Manchester.

2008053884_Marsden100520191RMweb.jpg.528e2f4d734bc81fcce34826dce07742.jpg

A short distance to the east at Slaithwaite there's a row of stone terrace houses at the top of a steep drop to the railway line.  Slaithwaite railway station is to the left and below the level of the trees.

Looking west towards Marsden.

292835332_Slaithwaite100520192RMweb.jpg.a70b9e07b6ae69167845a507c05599ea.jpg

Map

1261632550_Slaithwaite10052019RMweb.jpg.5132cca5f3ea189c3beb66a9d1d9892a.jpg

I live in the area of your chosen layout.  Let me know if you need any specific photos of the area and I'll pop out and take some for you.  

Hi,

I have to agree with the post I have quoted. If you really want to base your layout on Hebden (Bridge) you need to study the topography first. It is perhaps one of the most built up urban 'gorge-like' areas in the UK, sometimes known as England's Little Switzerland. The valley sides are steep and rugged with millstone grit outcrops forming 'cliffs' in places. The railway line through this landscape is quite distinct, it is always either in a tunnel, or rock cutting or on an embankment, rock shelf or viaduct. It is almost never level with the surrounding land and rarely if ever at the very bottom of the valley.

I would have to suggest therefore that on your model  the track should be raised well above your flat baseboard, at least 6 inches for OO. That will give you the necessary perspective typical of the area. The raised track 'level' should be perhaps a further 8-12 inches below the 'highest' bit of land modelled. Your model railway is then positioned vertically within the landscape as opposed to being at the bottom of it. I found a couple of photos on google that show how the railway is raised above the valley floor. They are the best but you can search images easily yourself. I used the internet images extensively during the development ( as well as a site visit) during the construction of Shirebrook, to fully understand the topography of that area. It became apparent that no part of my intended model was level! Therefore, I built Shirebrook with open top baseboards so the rise and fall of the land could easily be copied.

Enjoy your journey

Regards

Duncan

Enjoy your model making

headernew01.jpg

4540873844_228x184.jpg

Thank you for your feedback.

As i said in a previous post the layout is not linked to the real Hebden Bridge. I liked the name and wanted to use the name for my layout. I will use the theme to a point but this is a Fictional  Layout

• Like 2

On 10/05/2019 at 09:49, rka said:

Welsh men living in Yorkshire,  and Yorkshire men living in Wales what a crazy world:D

Yes, what would Arthur Brown have said!?

Isn't it boyo..............

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Earl Bathurst said:

Thank you for your feedback.

As i said in a previous post the layout is not linked to the real Hebden Bridge. I liked the name and wanted to use the name for my layout. I will use the theme to a point but this is a Fictional  Layout

Apologies Earl,

I read the start of your thread and missed out the middle bit.. oops. Any way as I said, 'enjoy your modelling!'

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scott,

I suspect the misconception about the layout location is going to come up repeatedly because of the name you've chosen.

So it might be worth inventing a fictional name for your fictional location.

45 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Scott,

I suspect the misconception about the layout location is going to come up repeatedly because of the name you've chosen.

So it might be worth inventing a fictional name for your fictional location.

Maybe so but took me long enough to find and like this name for the layout :D :D 

Any thoughts on the name would be greatly appreciated :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

After rolling various combinations around, how about this?

Sebden Gate

(It has the letters S and EB in it!...)

Seems not to be a real place name but is the name of a steel company - very Yorkshire.

Edited by Harlequin

Track laying continues. More track has been laid since these photographs were taken.

Platform templates are ready for when I make a start on them.

Droppers are done ready for wiring to start hopefully this coming weekend. 

Last night the inner loop become a continuous circuit. So things are progressing well.

More images to follow

20190512_105702.jpg

20190512_105717.jpg

20190512_105741.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scott, looking good!

Thinking about the alignment problems you mentioned earlier, did you notice that the bit of track between the main lines connected to the slip is 59mm long and curved in my drawing? I did that to allow the up line to keep curving while the down line passes through the straight section of the slip.

Hi Phil

Yes i did notice that. When i laid the track out it worked out like this. It runs ok. There will be fettling to do once all the track is laid but the eye is in the detail. What i usually do once i have laid everything i test each section and check the curves etc. There are a few niggles which i need to sort out. Mind you a picture isn't very forgiving sometimes.