Turning off the Rich Text Editor

Is there a way to turn off the rich text editor when posting?

I am finding it more of a hindrance than help.

For example, I have yet to find a way to nest a quote from one person within another persons quote.

Quoting either one alone won't quite make sense - especially as they're from two different topics.

You can nest quotes using rich text like this:

Outer quote

Inner quote

However, I would agree that nesting quotes with all the metadata that the forums gives you when explicitly quote a post (like the poster of the original quote, and a link back to their post) is more fiddly.  I usually find that it involves a fair bit of fiddling about with copy and paste - sometimes between two instances of the same thread on two separate tabs - and pasting in to large empty spaces i.e. lots of blank lines, then trimming judiciously as necessary.  (I had to start with lots of blank lines around the text and chip them away afterwards even just doing the simplistic example above.)

I'm not quite clear how not having rich text would help, though.

EDIT: Here is an example I made from another thread (because this one doesn't have enough posts).  Note how the metadata is preserved even copying the quotes between threads:

On 02/05/2019 at 14:38, steviesparx said:

Don't know the answer to your questions, but would have thought some heat shrink sleeve, or even outer cable insulation would achieve the same result....

On 02/05/2019 at 11:03, Hellcat said:

Hornby motors are (often, or always?) fitted with a capacitor marked 104, and the legs are prevented from touching by a black plastic caliper or separator. Can anyone please tell me what the correct name is for the latter, and where they can be obtained?

One other feature, that I think has only come in with the new forum software, is that if you select a piece of text in a post, you then get a wee pop-up saying "quote selection".  Click on that and it creates a quote in your post using just that bit of text.  That's a lot quicker than having to quote an entire post and then edit out the stuff you don't want*.

* People who quote an entire post full of photos in order to post a response to just one of the remarks buried within, please take note.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

Yeah, although I usually browse on a much older browser, which is getting less and less supported.

Some forums I find easier to use a mobile version - but not an option here any more.

In the browser I use, I can't even highlight text...

I appreciate old browsers can't be supported forever, hence an option to turn some of the "helpful" features off would perhaps help even those on modern browsers.

Out of interest, why do you use such an old browser?  The usual reason offered not to do so is that older ones won't have had the latest vulnerabilities fixed.  If it's because you're also using an old OS that won't support more up-to-date browsers then the same argument applies to the OS.

I don't even bother trying to do anything clever with quoting on a mobile or tablet.  If I realise that I'm going to need to I just make a mental note of the thread and come back to it later when I've got a proper screen, keyboard and pointing device in front of me.  Or I just don't bother.  Someone else will probably come along and make the same point I was planning to sooner or later anyway...

Work force rubbish browser on me.

But another "helpful" problem is when visiting on a phone, the site detects I'm using Android and serves me the mobile website. This is great, but no in-site option to change to a "full" version so I can find what I want.

I changed a setting in the browser but that isn't really the point.

I get I'm in the minority though.

Just a shame there aren't options. It's not that difficult to manually code in.

Didn't bother to wait for the "location" to be fixed on the left here, so I manipulated mine so it shows nice. Everyone else's doesn't have a space or colon.

• 2 years later...