Insulfrog & Electro Points on a small OO DC BLT

OhOh

Having read a few threads here and checked other sources, I'm fairy confident that I've got the wiring for my small OO DC BLT correctly planned. Although obviously not confident enough to go ahead without bothering the experienced brains here :rolleyes:

I think the only 'complication' is that it'll use a mix of both electrofrog and insulfrog points: 2 SL-E92's and 4 ST-240's.

This will be my first attempt so I want to keep it simple as it's more of a practise run than long-term layout. The points, which I acquired quite a while ago, (pre unifrog) will be 'as is' without modification.

I've labelled the points A-F to make any suggested changes easier to explain/understand. The 3 isolated/switched sections are the only places where I'm likely to want to hold a loco while another runs on the same track.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Electrics.jpg

The IRJ on point D leading to the siding/headshunt isn't right. Locos won't be able to run into that section of track.

You only need IRJ's on Electrofrog Vee's if you are feeding power into them.

So either remove the IRJ or put a power feed into that headshunt.

Regards,

John P

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with J Pendle re IRJ.

I think you will quickly regret using the set track points. They waste width with their 60mm track spacing, plenty of locos especially Bachmann  Panniers and the like derail on them and locos stall on the frog for various reasons.  I live frogged some set track points once which improved them, I also cut them down to narrow the track spacing but unless you are building an industrial setting its a waste of time as you can pick up S/H  live frog points from eBay for about £3 each if you go for job lots.

10 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Agree with J Pendle re IRJ.

I think you will quickly regret using the set track points. They waste width with their 60mm track spacing, plenty of locos especially Bachmann  Panniers and the like derail on them and locos stall on the frog for various reasons.  I live frogged some set track points once which improved them, I also cut them down to narrow the track spacing but unless you are building an industrial setting its a waste of time as you can pick up S/H  live frog points from eBay for about £3 each if you go for job lots.

Thanks, but as I acquired the points from various sources quite a while back and am on a very tight budget I have to work with what I have. The spacing doesn't overly concern me, especially as the layout will be more of a freelance light railway than an attempt to produce a portrayal of reality. Having loose-laid some track and points, I've found that all of my loco's (2 Hornby Holden 0-4-0's, Hornby Pug, Hornby Pannier and Airfix 14xx, all 2nd hand) run perfectly through the Setrack points, even at slow speed. I'm using a Gaugemaster Combi controller and seem to recall reading/seeing somewhere that a chap using a Hornby controller encountered stalling which disappeared when he changed to the GM Combi. It may just be that I've made sure all wheels and pick-ups, as well as the rails are well cleaned. I'll have to keep my fingers x'd but will report back on progress and any issues I encounter, but that'll likely be at a snails pace, so please don't be holding your breath.

If using insul-frog points make sure all the pick-ups on your locos are correctly set, most 'issues' are a combination of the dead frog and poorly aligned pick-ups, solving one will solve the problem.

• Agree 1