Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Miniatur Wunderland, Hamburg

• RMweb Gold

I spent several hours this week at this permanent exhibition. Although many layouts featured on RMWeb are as good and some even better, the sheer scale of this place makes it worth a look. That said, 300 staff clean, build, maintain, operate, cater and serve the model and its visitors.

Due to image sizes, I have posted just a few of many I took and will share more if there is some interest.

Train Marshalling.jpg

Trams, trucks, trains, traffic lights all work.jpg

Better Olive Harvest.jpg

Good vine harvest.jpg

Dirty Harry.jpg

Track cleaning.jpg

Swiss viaducts.jpg

Norway Mine.jpg

Take-off.jpg

• Like 11

My wife and I spent around four hours there in September last year. I took heaps of photos and a few videos as well. The sheer scale of the model is mind boggling, taking up three floors of some old warehouses.

Like Kingzance, I can heartily recommend a visit to Miniatur Wunderland. I definitely want to go again.

32074450088_5f3de37700_b.jpg

P_20180925_211241_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr
The real buildings at night on our walk back to our hotel - it is perfectly safe in Hamburg.

45221381434_bc5a82978e_b.jpg

P_20180925_171303_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr
Miniatur Wunderland's model of themselves.

45221360254_96e8b1379b_b.jpg
P_20180925_185058_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr
Some of the mountains in the Swiss scene go up to the next floor level's ceiling.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2019 at 07:10, railroadbill said:

Just found this. It's on my list to do, was going to go there last year but didn't happen. Great photos, both, by the way.

From your experiences, is there a good time to see the exhibition (think there's a web site for booking in advance?)

Thanks.

It is cheaper at certain times, usually very early or in the late afternoon to evening. The website will reveal this if you book in advance. My OH and I arrived a bit early but it was all quiet anyway (this was in September 2018), so we went up to the admission counter and asked if we could go in early, and they were perfectly happy to allow this. I suppose it was a little bit of a cheat (not deliberate, though), us paying the lower price for the later time but getting in earlier.

Allow plenty of time to look. We did our day trip first then went in the late afternoon, which gave us around four hours, and we still ran out of time, albeit our feet and backs were starting to hurt by that time anyway, so we wouldn't have lasted much longer physically.

We were staying at the Ibis Hotel, and had a pleasant 1.5 km walk back, but we had the option of getting a U-Bahn train, with Baumwall being the closest station to Miniatur Wunderland.

Edited by SRman
Corrected a typo
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mrs R and I went this May, and because some of the things we wanted to do in Hamburg were weather dependent (Planten und Blomen) we didn't book as we figured Miniature Wunderland would be good if the weather was poor. Like us you may have a wait before you can enter the layout halls themselves but it's not a problem as Miniature Wunderland has a comfortable, well equipped waiting area, with seats, tables, free soft drinks and a cafe if you would like a hot drink and snacks. We had a fabulous time there, it was busy but they're properly geared up for the numbers of visitors. The main cafe in the layout zone has a good range of very reasonably priced hot and cold food with little queuing. Hamburg itself is fantastic, Planten und Blomen is well worth a visit as is the Saturday Floschanze fleamarket at Neuer Kamp. The U Bahn between Rodingsmarkt and Landungsbruken does a very passable imitation of the Liverpool Overhead Railway and is worth experiencing too.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, SRman said:

It is cheaper at certain times, usually very early or in the late afternoon to evening. The website will reveal this if you book in advance. My OH and I arrived a bit early but it was all quiet anyway (this was in September 2018), so we went up to the admission counter and asked if we could go in early, and they were perfectly happy to allow this. I suppose it was a little bit of a cheat (not deliberate, though), us paying the lower price for the later time but getting in earlier.

Allow plenty of time to look. We did our day trip first then went in the late afternoon, which gave us around four hours, and we still ran out of time, albeit our feet and backs were starting to hurt by that time anyway, so we wouldn't have lasted much longer physically.

We were staying at the Ibis Hotel, and had a pleasant i.5 km walk back, but we had the option of getting a U-Bahn train, with Baumwall being the closest station to Miniatur Wunderland.

Brilliant, SRman, that's very helpful information. 

(Also we've stayed in ibis hotels before and they've been fine for us).

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Mrs R and I went this May, and because some of the things we wanted to do in Hamburg were weather dependent (Planten und Blomen) we didn't book as we figured Miniature Wunderland would be good if the weather was poor. Like us you may have a wait before you can enter the layout halls themselves but it's not a problem as Miniature Wunderland has a comfortable, well equipped waiting area, with seats, tables, free soft drinks and a cafe if you would like a hot drink and snacks. We had a fabulous time there, it was busy but they're properly geared up for the numbers of visitors. The main cafe in the layout zone has a good range of very reasonably priced hot and cold food with little queuing. Hamburg itself is fantastic, Planten und Blomen is well worth a visit as is the Floschanze fleamarket at Neuer Kamp. The U Bahn between Rodingsmarkt and Landungsbruken does a very passable imitation of the Liverpool Overhead Railway and is worth experiencing too.

Thanks, Neil. Details really helpful, it's good to have info about visiting such a large set up  (especially the cafe!) 

I've had  3 gos at staying in Hamburg in the last couple of years and unfortunately something else has happened each time to  delay our trip.  So it really has to be done, especially as it's possible to get there from London by train in 1 day.

• RMweb Premium

You're welcome Bill. I've just edited my post to mention that the fleamarket is on Saturday. It may not be of interest but if it was I wouldn't want to lead you astray thinking that it was an everyday occurrence.

• Like 1

It's more a case of what would you like to see first. Very high on my list was the airport scene, but that may or may not appeal to others.

Edit: That's not to say I had to see the Knuffingen Airport bit first, but I did make sure I had time to see it, even if it meant missing other parts.

Edited by SRman
Additional comment.
  • Like 1

Off on my travels for summer holidays, will visiting Hamburg on the Monday & Tuesday, will visiting Miniatur Wunderland on the Tuesday. Like the other comments before, have seen bigger and better layouts, but, sheer size of  it is amazing. I’ll try and post a few pics when I get the time..

Regards Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Thanks again Neil and SRman. My final question is if someone is visiting  for the first time, are there sections it's best to see first? I've read about this exhibition in magazines and seen YouTube vids over the years and its obviously become very large!

It's big and tiring but if you pace yourself then you'll get to see all in your visit. I'd recommend planning your visit to span a meal time and refuelling part way through in their cafe. Currywurst and chips will boost flagging energy levels. I couldn't in all honesty pick out a favourite section and if I could there's always the risk that it might not be to everyone's taste.

• Like 2

Ive visited several times. Ideally,  you need to spend a whole day there. Even then it wont do it justice. 

If you have time, i would also recommend the behind the scenes tours. They are really good and the guides are very knowledgeable. They also speak excellent English. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

It's big and tiring but if you pace yourself then you'll get to see all in your visit. I'd recommend planning your visit to span a meal time and refuelling part way through in their cafe. Currywurst and chips will boost flagging energy levels. I couldn't in all honesty pick out a favourite section and if I could there's always the risk that it might not be to everyone's taste.

Isn't that a coincidence: I had the currywurst and chips too! Quite nice. :)

My other half also enjoyed the visit, as there is more than enough to keep all walks of life interested. The internal cafeteria is set up to look like a railway carriage interior with picture panels shaped like windows. 

48072260183_54bc6af409_b.jpg
P_20180925_193817_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 4

I was last there just before they opened the Italian section.

As mentioned above I pre booked an earlyish admission as it's cheaper.  Had curry wurst chips and beer for lunch.  Left about dinner time.

Most people will need at least a day to do it justice.

They have plans for more sections of Europe in model including the UK.....

It's worth befriending them on Face ache

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hamburg is a great spot, I will be heading twice this year, Next trip is to visit the xmas markets with the family.

I would recommend visiting MWL during the week and buy Advanced tickets. Also you can obtain a Hamburg Card and beat the que. Good Savings for city transport along with Discounts to some attractions during a Visit. you can pre buy this before you go.

https://www.hamburg-travel.com/booking/hamburg-card/advantages/

Skip that Currywurst in MWL and head over to the Groninger for a great feed and some in house brewed bevs.  <10 min walk up the river Bank.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g187331-d797589-Reviews-Groninger-Hamburg.html

Later on then there's a Much better Currywurst in the Reeperbahn, cheeper too: https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g187331-d1343502-Reviews-Lucullus-Hamburg.html#REVIEWS

Some good Model Railway shops dotted around the outskirst.

enjoy the trip.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well people, I posted this in May but thought it hadn't made it for some reason - must be a problem with the old git posting it :mocking_mini:!

SWMBO booked in advance but the "booking operator" which wasn't Miniatur Wunderland sold us a backstage pass that didn't show up on MW's system and has refused to respond to various communications so I suggest that you buy that when you are there - it is well worth the extra. Yes, the food is good and cheap too. As an admitted senior citizen, the length of time on your feet has to be considered. We arrived at 11am (and it was very busy) and departed around 4:30, just as the crowds started to reduce. There was more we could have seen in the time there but SWMBO isn't a modeller so I didn't want to keep her there too long. She was prepared to go for a second day but I felt the expenditure of brownie points wasn't worth it and I restored the credit by taking her shopping in Hamburg the next day instead!

I also visited RailEx 2019 at Aylesbury a few weeks after MW and tbh, the standard of exhibition layouts (whilst much smaller) was in many ways as good. I would still do MW again, but perhaps after a couple of years when areas like the planned and under construction Monaco section are installed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Load to do with the missus.

I'd Recommend a visit to this too: https://www.kz-gedenkstaette-neuengamme.de/

4 hours or so to get around it, quite a lot to take in. <60mins byTrain and bus from Bergedorf

If timing is right there is a preserved Steam line in Bergedorf too: https://www.herzogtum-lauenburg.de/a-museumseisenbahn-karoline

• Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...

We visited for a couple of hours (all we had available unfortunately) last week but it really needs a whole day. Can only emphasise how impressive the whole thing is. My other half is not interested in model railways but she was blown away by the scenics, especially the airport & Grand Canyon. Can't wait to make a lengthier return visit. Given the number of UK visitors (they provide a breakdown of visitor's country of origin) I'm surprised that no UK scene is planned.

29 minutes ago, Littlethorpe said:

We visited for a couple of hours (all we had available unfortunately) last week but it really needs a whole day. Can only emphasise how impressive the whole thing is. My other half is not interested in model railways but she was blown away by the scenics, especially the airport & Grand Canyon. Can't wait to make a lengthier return visit. Given the number of UK visitors (they provide a breakdown of visitor's country of origin) I'm surprised that no UK scene is planned.

There is a UK scene planned after France. Anyone considering visiting really should go.

I've been a few times now. The modelling is superb. The standouts for me are the road systems and the Airport. The latter is simply amazing.

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

There is a UK scene planned after France. ......

I'm afraid not. There are new sections planned but the UK isn't going to be one of them. South America looks like it'll be the first bit built in the additional premises over the forthcoming bridge. In many ways I find this a more exciting prospect than depicting the UK.  Though it's always interesting to see how others see us there's no shortage of model railways following a UK prototype; South America however is a fresh and exciting prospect. I can only remember a single solitary South American (Argentinian) layout here on RMweb so it's pretty much virgin territory for the modeller.

• Like 1

Hello Folks,

There is a Second Model Railway in Hamburg also, not as Grand as MWL but tbh I would be quite happy looking at this on operating  for an hour or so plus it comes along with a proper museum to look about. It has Model Boats too on show and a lot more. I have not visited it yet as I only found out about it recently.

it is located a short walk from St Puali U Bahn Station

Model railway Hamburg e.V.

Modelleisenbahn Hamburg e.V.

4.7(48)

Rail museum

Holstenwall 24, 20355 Hamburg, Germany

Located in: Museum for Hamburg History

'The miniature railway system and the glass-roofed inner courtyard make a visit to the Hamburg Museum all the more necessary. And don't forget that the small museum in the Krameramtsstuben historic houses, which gives a glimpse of Hamburg life in the 1850s, is also part of the Hamburg Museum. '

Also there is a Steam Railway about 20 mins away on the S Bahn. the Steam loco is not working at the moment so it will be Diesel Runs for Santa this year.

Bahnhof Bergedorf Süd

3.9  (63) · Rail museum

Hamburg, Germany

+49 4152 77899

Open 24 hours

http://www.geesthachter-eisenbahn.de/

Loads of other Steam Related bit n bobs around the area if you look about.

Steam  Launch Trips

https://www.hamburg-travel.com/booking/tickets/alster-boat-trips/

Paddle Steamer

https://raddampfer-kaiser-wilhelm.de/BMK_Foerderg_2014.html

Steam Ice breaker

http://www.dampfeisbrecher.de/

Elbe Maritime  Museum short trip down the Elbe.

elbschifffahrtsmuseum.de

Going over in December for a few days with the Family and then again for the Massive Port anniversary weekend which is something to behold in May: https://www.hamburg.com/port-anniversary/

What a City!!

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, Neil said:

I'm afraid not. There are new sections planned but the UK isn't going to be one of them. South America looks like it'll be the first bit built in the additional premises over the forthcoming bridge. In many ways I find this a more exciting prospect than depicting the UK.  Though it's always interesting to see how others see us there's no shortage of model railways following a UK prototype; South America however is a fresh and exciting prospect. I can only remember a single solitary South American (Argentinian) layout here on RMweb so it's pretty much virgin territory for the modeller.

In August, Gerrit, the joint owner, told me that planning for the UK scene will start after France. As the top man, he should know. Though he did express reservations over what he considers poor quality of British outline mechanisms which suggests their already looking into it.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2