Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Miniatur Wunderland, Hamburg

On 20/11/2019 at 22:47, Denbridge said:

In August, Gerrit, the joint owner, told me that planning for the UK scene will start after France. As the top man, he should know. Though he did express reservations over what he considers poor quality of British outline mechanisms which suggests their already looking into it.

In one of Gerrit's Diary videos on Youtube he mentioned the British section had been cancelled in favour of South America. A victim of Brexit was I think how he described it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

We’ll see you in a week’s time then. I spent over 6 hours in there back in 2007.

Unfortunately, I only get 3 hours, out of which I expect some queuing (despite having a pre-booked ticket) and other wasted time.

SWMBO has gone off sightseeing with our travelling companions, so at least I won’t be badgered to move on or leave earlier than I would like, due to her boredom.

My expectations are average to low, in the context of fine scale and realistic modelling, but if I didn’t take the opportunity to visit, while “in town”, I’d almost certainly regret it.

However, I’m reasonably optimistic that it’ll be entertaining and worthwhile.

I think you'll enjoy it, Ron. I went back for a second visit in August this year (the previous visit was four years ago). I pre-booked and was able to walk straight in at the appointed time on both occasions. This last time, being Summer, they had longer opening hours, and I could have stayed until 01:00 am, but my (and my wife's) legs and back were getting sore after around four hours.

Some of the modelling in the older sections is a little rougher than the newer bits, but the sheer scale of it all is impressive.

I always think that the Knuffingen Airport section is worth the visit on its own, but there is plenty more to keep you occupied. There are also many lighter touches of humour scattered around. They have even modelled themselves. 😅

20220824_210753.jpg

20220824_211042.jpg

20220824_211502.jpg

20220824_224229.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

We’ll I’ve been and seen it all.

Unfortunately, we only had less than 2 hours, before our tour bus was ready to take us away.

I covered the whole place, including the new bits and the workshops over the bridge, in the adjacent building.

One surprise, was that it wasn’t as big as I had imagined (..and yes I did cover it all).

My impression and opinion will not sit well with the fans of this exhibition.

It was what I expected, if not a little worst.

Not much in the way of pleasant surprises, although the airport looked better in “the flesh” than in the countless videos on YouTube.

Personally speaking, it’s great for tourists and kids.

Even so, there’s a lot of individual detailed modelling buried in there, across many if not all of the sections, but it’s mostly completely swamped by the pile it on, cram far too much into a space, toy town nature of almost all of it.

Cliche city on steroids.

Great if you like that style of, over the top, unrealistic, mega train set.

I wouldn’t recommend it if you prefer more realistic looking settings and modelling.

Each to their own and all that, but not for me, I’m afraid.

At least I had the chance to go and won’t be left wondering about what I might have missed.

YMMV.

Ron

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • Tempfix

Just back from a half term trip over to Hamburg with two small people aged 6 and 8. Spent one whole day at Miniatur Wunderland and could have quite happily spent longer. My wife and I had been for our first wedding anniversary many years ago when we had money and time (now we have children instead). Amazed how much has been added since then - really looking forward to seeing the France and Monaco section completed. I do echo some of what Ron says above - there are aspects of every cliché you can cram into a scene, but the sheer scale of it more than makes up for it for me. The standard of modelling and attention to detail are fantastic. I knew I would have to drag my son away at the end of the day, but my daughter was completely sold on it too.

Hamburg fantastic as well - great city. RyanAir from Stansted was pretty cheap booked in advance, good times of day for those with small people. Hamburg Card for travel on S Bahn, U Bahn, buses etc very reasonable for a family. Had a couple of fantastic dinners at the food court at the Hauptbahnhof too. 

Nice place, will go again when they've built a bit more. I'll let the pictures do the real talking though.

Rich

IMG_7372.jpg

IMG_7374.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7398.jpg

IMG_7404.jpg

IMG_7417.jpg

IMG_7436.jpg

IMG_7451.jpg

IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_7482.jpg