Triang geared axles compatibility

ianmacc

Hi

Need a new geared axle for the Triang class 81 power bogie as the existing has worn beyond repair. What is the part number please and is it used on any other models such as the DMU for example? I believe the part number for the DMU is X117...

Cheers 

Ian 

• RMweb Gold

Triang 81?

do you mean class 77/Electra? if so the part number you need is X.336 which is the same as the class 31/37 Diesel

Edit:

Sorry, Monday morning! - the geared axle for the R753 class 81 is X.116. you might be able to get the gear on it's own, part number S.2016

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Thanks 1

The brass cog power bogies benefit from thrust washers between the chassis and the brass cog to keep the worm central and stop the insulated bush rubbing against the chassis and wearing away, otherwise  they last for ever.  I believe the cog is the same as the X04 powered Nellie, Polly  etc 0-4-0 Tank.    In my opinion the  plastic cog A1A and class 37 bogies are basically a waste of space, I remove the armature and brushes for re use and bin the rest.   

8 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

The brass cog power bogies benefit from thrust washers between the chassis and the brass cog to keep the worm central and stop the insulated bush rubbing against the chassis and wearing away, otherwise  they last for ever.   

I beg to differ. I have a couple of bogies where the axle has worn away the chassis. It gets to the point where the vertical load is taken by the worm/wormwheel. Not only does this cause poor running due to the bad meshing of the gears and extra friction, but the bogie develops a wobble as the gears are not perfectly round, either due to wear or manufacture. The bogie also sits about 1mm or more lower than it should due to this wear.  Being Triang of course it will still run like this, but sound like a coffee grinder doing a duck impression. I am trying to figure out the best way to fix this. Unfortunately buying a second hand replacement is pot luck as to whether you get one with the same problem.  On the other hand one with a good chassis will run quietly and smoothly.  My class 81 runs great, my 101 not so much...

4 hours ago, Titan said:

I beg to differ. I have a couple of bogies where the axle has worn away the chassis. It gets to the point where the vertical load is taken by the worm/wormwheel. Not only does this cause poor running due to the bad meshing of the gears and extra friction, but the bogie develops a wobble as the gears are not perfectly round, either due to wear or manufacture. The bogie also sits about 1mm or more lower than it should due to this wear.  Being Triang of course it will still run like this, but sound like a coffee grinder doing a duck impression. I am trying to figure out the best way to fix this. Unfortunately buying a second hand replacement is pot luck as to whether you get one with the same problem.  On the other hand one with a good chassis will run quietly and smoothly.  My class 81 runs great, my 101 not so much...

I will have to check my scrap box. I don't think any of my current runners have had their wheels out for about 50 years but I have bought various power bogies for spare parts over the years and I have several spare frames so I will check for wear and if OK will stick them on eBay..