MoD Ashchurch and Ashchurch Station

rogerfarnworth

I was reading a book by Neil Parkhouse and looking at a series of photographs of the historic station at Ashchurch which was demolished as part of the fall out from the cuts associated with Dr. Breeching. Apart from feeling a sense of dismay that the original station and its building, together with the branch-lines it served, has been lost for ever, I noticed a reference to a siding serving MOD Ashchurch and decided to investigate.

DE&S Ashchurch, known locally as "Ashchurch Camp", was the UK MOD's primary vehicle storage and distribution site for all types of armoured and soft-skinned vehicles, together with Royal Engineer bridges, boats and construction plant. The Centre was the only vehicle depot in the UK using Controlled Humidity Environments (CHE) for long-term vehicle storage.

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/2018/08/04/mod-ashchurch-and-ashchurch-railway-station

MOD Ashchurch remains at risk of closure and its site is marked in the local authority plan for mixed development

Edited by rogerfarnworth
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If I remember correctly there was a service that went into the depot in the last few months. The suggest was that this was the first time the line had been used in some time. I think it was a service from Marchwood. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1