Posted (edited)

I recently commenced building a new garden line after a number of years without one. A mineral tramway in 7/8ths scale.

Track is (being) laid directly on ballast (Travis Perkins ballast topped with horticultural grit, a technique I previously used for a temporary line with rather more success than expected.

Picture shows a Ruston (originally built for an 18 inch gauge line, and subsequently regauged to 2ft)  with skips at the present “head of steel” 

0CA8676A-B88C-4DCA-8C28-ACF707CA2F16.jpeg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

A couple of pictures of the line’s Accucraft Bagnall. This has a replacement Bagnall style chimney from David Bailey, and is fitted with a Summerlands Chuffer, though the one intended for the Accucraft Decauville which is a snug fit in the chimney and gives a nice soft chuff.

The oil tank mounted on a skip chassis contains a SSP Slomo. The chassis was from a Canadian skip kit available some years ago, with roller bearings. Apart from the Slomo the tank contains compartments filled with lead shot, and weighs just under 4lbs. Works fine though. 

43162285-04C3-4988-BD6D-129CAA9A84FA.jpeg

5559E524-6550-4890-AAF9-90B8AD9DE4E0.jpeg

02919AAF-FDDA-4D57-B96B-0A0F531BC7CB.jpeg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Posted (edited)

A short clip of the Bagnall on skips can be found here: 

A recently acquired Wren being dragged up the line by the Ruston.  

IMGP5566.jpg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 8

I love the weathering in this scale! It makes all the difference.....

• Agree 1

On 10/07/2019 at 12:32, Giles said:

I love the weathering in this scale! It makes all the difference.....

Some weathering to be done on the skips....those will probably be all over rust. They are a ready-to-run metal Koppel type skip produced by Accucraft for The Train Department in the US. Originally supplied with “14 inch” wheels I’ve replaced those with Slaters 12 inch wheels, which I think look better.

Some weathered skips here, albeit not too rusty other than the braked one at the end (from the front, 2xSlaters WD skips; a Hudson type skip from a Canadian privately produced resin kit; a Mikes Models “Skippie” on Train Department 14” wheels, https://www.mikes-models.co.uk/index.php/railway/garden-railway/simply-7-8ths-kits/7-8ths-rolling-stock-kits/skippie-wagon-kit-detail.html ; and a Train Department braked skip on Slaters wheels).

• Like 4

Watching with interest, I think I remember your previous line. The Bagnall looks fab, as does everything else. Those photos and vids ooze atmosphere!

On 17/07/2019 at 00:37, Steph' H said:

Watching with interest, I think I remember your previous line.

Thanks, Steph. The line you remember went in 2012, work and living abroad for a bit has got in the way since.

Rabbits! I'm building the line in a small paddock as the garden isn't really suitable. However, the rabbits have made a come back this year. Not in large numbers luckily, but enough to make a mess. 

Yesterday morning I found they'd dug a hole from the lineside, no damage to the track but it was covered around an inch deep for couple of feet. I shoved rubble down their hole, and blocked it off with a conveniently shaped piece of concrete, hoping they were "at home". Well, one wasn't, and had a go at reopening the burrow last night, luckily thwarted by the concrete, but still dumped spoil on the track, just not a whole hole's worth this time:

IMG_2215.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Goodness is it that long ago? Checking out your video channel I am glad to see you still have the hunslet type loco, I'm sure we ran that at Robs one year? I've always liked it. 

I'm glad we don't get rabbits looking at that but I want to know where all my ballast goes when the local Blackbirds are busy chucking it everywhere... I need to get more yet again:rolleyes:

I must say if I have to build again I would like a more open line like yours as my bushes and trees are getting a bit much these days. 

Edited by Steph' H

Posted (edited)

Steph,

Yes, still have the “Waril-alike”. It steams really well, and runs well with its “Slomo”.

I ran it that day at Rob’s, as you mentioned, almost exactly 6 years ago! Picture of it with your Lawley conversion, and Rob’s “Kafuzelum”, below.

Edit: Forgot to mention the rabbits have been back to the same spot twice now, but defeated by the concrete entrance to their hole. Hopefully they’ll give up soon.....

Waril-alike and Lawley Conversion.jpg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 2

That is a lovely photo! Six years ago... Arrrgh Makes me realise how long it's been since I worked on a loco. You have reignited my modelling spirit. Time to have at the loco I've been procrastinating over I think. 

Good luck with the dreaded burrowing fiends. I will be awaiting developments and photos of your line with anticipation.

Posted (edited)

Not much progress towards finishing the railway at the moment...but there is enough track laid now to run a train over a reasonable distance. 

I have a 20/28 Simplex part finished (I started it 3 years ago!), which I really should get on and finish. In the mean time I have other locos to trundle some skips around....

3B5BD726-03E8-4743-8E7B-333E75364D74.jpeg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1