An independent standard-gauge line with no direct connection into the wider network. ....... The first section of the line was completed in 1901, the full line finished in 1908. All of the track and rolling stock were requisitioned during the war and the railway closed in 1917. The materials never saw active service! ........

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/06/04/bideford-westward-ho-and-appledore-railway-part-1-railfile

• Informative/Useful 3

• 5 months later...

I have been intending to follow up my first article about this line (http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/06/04/bideford-westward-ho-and-appledore-railway-part-1-railfile) with a second one. It has taken me sometime to complete it. This next article covers the line from Bideford to Westward Ho!

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/11/30/bideford-westward-ho-and-appledore-railway-part-2

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Roger. I have just uncovered a photograph which I am sure was taken during the 70s at Westward Ho! My parents lived in Northam overlooking Westward Ho! at the time.

Now, I am sure I remember seeing this myself but can't remember exactly where it was (Obviously not the original position). Possibly to the east of the old station site which I do remember quite well. My father always assumed it was from the railway but I wasn't sure and just wondered if it was an enthusiast who had bought a signal box from somewhere. However, looking through your articles it does bear some resemblances to the B,W H &H boxes - not the station one but perhaps the taller one in Bideford?

I really don't know, but wondered if you, or anyone else, had any information on it please?

Edit: I have just found a picture of the Causeway signal box (The taller one I mentioned above) in Douglas Stuckey's 1962 book about the railway and it is not the same as this box so I guess this one is an "import" from somewhere. I would still like to know more about it if anyone knows please?

westward ho signalbox.jpg

Edited by highpeakman
  • Informative/Useful 1

A final article from me which covers the remaining length of the line - the length from Westward Ho! to Appledore.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/03/21/bideford-westward-ho-and-appledore-railway-part-3

In my first post I provided a few pictures of the station at Westward Ho!. The second post followed the line from Bideford to Westward Ho! This post covers the remainder of the line from Westward Ho! to Appledore.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rogerfarnworth said:

I am really sorry. I don't know anything more about this signal box. It is an interesting find!

I really wish I could remember more about and exactly where in Westward Ho! I saw it. The problem is that when you are young you never realise how significant what you are looking at is, and therefore you don't note the details properly (Well, I didn't anyway).

Roger, Thank you for the articles on the B, W H! & A, I have found them very interesting. It was easier to spot the traces in the 70s but much has "moved on" in the town since then.

There are several web sites with information about the history of the railway and they mostly contain virtually the same information however I have just found the following on this site: http://train.spottingworld.com/Bideford,_Westward_Ho!_and_Appledore_Railway

The fate of two signal boxes

Upon closure one box was purchased by a local farmer, Mr. Atkins. He tried to convert it into an extension to his house, however he failed and sold the box to a person in Westward Ho! who used it as a Summer House. It still existed in 1968 (Dicker 1968). It now appears that this signal box was dismantled in 2001 by a railway enthusiast who has a garden railway near Newbury. He intends to re-assemble and use the box there.

Another box is recorded by the 'Westward Ho! History Group' as still existing at No.7, Springfield Terrace in Westward Ho! now being used as a workshop. This box may have been owned by a W. Jordan in the late 1930s and his employer, who owned the house, was a Mr. Fred Bishop, antique dealer. It may not have come from the B.WH.&A.R., although one authority does suggest that its origin was Appledore. The most likely origin is Maddaford Moor on the old North Cornwall L.S.W.R line (Edmonds 1996).

This seems to disagree with the common opinion that the Westward Ho! box ended it's years as a sweet shop on the site of the old station. However, having seen photos of the sweet shop, it certainly looked to be true. The only other box was the old Causeway and i didn't think my picture was that one. However, thinking back hard and working out where Springfield Terrace was, (behind what is now The Waterfront Inn. The field you see in the photo is now a car park). So I now wonder if my photo  may have been the second one above. Although the fact that the first one mentioned above was still extant in 1968 suggests it might have been that one. So, still confused.

Edit: Just found this additional, but similar information on another site:

The fate of two signal boxes

Upon closure one box was purchased by a local farmer, Mr. Atkins. He tried to convert it into an extension to his house, however he failed and sold the box to a person in Westward Ho! who used it as a summer house. It still existed in 1968.[9]

Another box, which was for many years used as a workshop in the garden at No.7, Springfield Terrace in Westward Ho! had no connection with the B.WH.& A.R. The most likely origin is Maddaford Moor on the old North Cornwall L.S.W.R line.[16] This box was dismantled in January 2000 and removed for use on a garden railway near Newbury.[17]

FRom http://everything.explained.today/Bideford%2c_Westward_Ho!_and_Appledore_Railway/

If there is anyone out there who can really explain about that signal box I would really appreciate it, Thanks.

Edited by highpeakman
Additional information added