Wrenn + dublo class 20

I have a wrenn & dublo class 20. , and wish to run them together, however they currently run 

off in different directions, the dublo one has semi traction tyres on both wheels at one end of the power bogie , the wrenn one has them side by side.

is there a simple solution? Or would it require some re routing of wiring ?  I am also consious that I may need to replace the couplings with something plastic to avoid any shorting.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 47164 said:

I have a wrenn & dublo class 20. , and wish to run them together, however they currently run 

off in different directions, the dublo one has semi traction tyres on both wheels at one end of the power bogie , the wrenn one has them side by side.

is there a simple solution? Or would it require some re routing of wiring ?  I am also consious that I may need to replace the couplings with something plastic to avoid any shorting.

The first thing you need to consider is, which one is wired correctly and which one do you need to change. The convention for DC locos (I'm assuming that you aren't DCC), is for the loco to move forward, when the right hand rail is positive. This is relative to a driver in the cab, so for a Class 20 the long bonnet is the front (like a steam loco).

If you have a multimeter, it is easy to work out which rail is positive, or use a 9 volt battery (I think this will provide enough current to test for direction, although it won't last for long).

The usual method of reversing a loco, is to reverse the magnet, but DO NOT remove the magnet, otherwise it will lose some of its magnetism.

I'm sure some experts on these locos, will be along soon with the correct process to reverse the magnet on the incorrect one.

Get some super neo magnets and swap them round until the locos run the same way.  You buy the proper replacements or get a hand full of little magnets from China at a quarter of the price and and make up spacers etc to use them. They are less powerful than the proper replacements and make the motors run a lot smoother if less powerfully.   I have two of these chassis but they are three rail so I can't comment on changing the wires except you can probably swap the insulated sleeve and wire to the other brush spring to achieve the same result