Farish Bachmann Standard Class 5MT (372-726) - Repair advice requested for Valve Gear and Traction Tyres

GEM80_Pom

I have come into possession of a pre-loved Standard Class 5MT model (372-726) that is in need of some TLC... 

1. Traction Tyres: I believe this model is supposed to be fitted with traction tyres, fitted to at least one of the axles:

• is it safe to assume it is the centre axle (because this is the only axle driven by the motor)?
  • will any traction tyre from any brand (e.g. Minitrix) suit, or does it need to be a certain, correct thickness?

2. Valve Gear: one of the pins on the valve gear doesn't have a properly formed head and consequently the outer link falls off. 

• Any tips for a simple (low skill) fix? I checked "BR Lines" and "Peters Spares" website but they don't sell spare sets of valve gear: are there any other sources of spares I can check?

Thank you for reading this,

Neil

• RMweb Gold

The traction tyres on the 5MT are fitted on the rearmost axle. Bachmann sell them as spares, item number 379-424, so they should be available from most decent model shops. 

It may also be worth contacting Bachmann direct to see if they can help with the valve gear pin? 

Tom. 

It might be as cheap to get in touch with Bachmann Service Dept and book it in for a service- making sure that the valve gear is detatched when you send it and that it is included in the covering letter in the box.

Les

• Agree 1