Strange going-ons at Casey Lane

Iron Horse

So the title maybe a little dramatic but I wondered if anyone could shed any light on what I saw on Saturday lunchtime around 12:40. For those that don't know Casey Lane is just to the South of Crewe right at the entrance to Crewe Basford Hall yard. I parked my car on the east side of the line and walked over the bridge to look to the south and I saw this...........

1132802790_Interesting1.jpg.0026c38dedc21560efebecd136fa9081.jpg

The pendolino was on the up line travelling north very slowly coming to a stop at the ground signal whilst the voyager went on it's merry way north as normal on the down line. I far as I understand signalling which is very very very limited these lines are not bi-directional but the ground signal suggests this isn't unheard of but where did the pendolino come from and any idea why it did what it did? A few minutes later it did continue north once it was able to cross to the down fast and away it went.

here's another photo of it crossing..

674093317_Interesting2.jpg.2fe1185e0d2ff0352b08f0e95a78f744.jpg

Nothing serious but i did find it intriguing .........cheers in advance

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting move, the signal is controlled by Basford Hall and allows set back moves off the up fast to the down fast, dow slow or yard.

I've looked on a real time system for Saturday 22 June and can't see anything unusual timing wise, if the train had run wrong line from Stafford I would expect a very late departure but I can't see one, nor any cancellations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I believe there was some sort of obstruction further south on the up line and the Pendolino was sent back to Crewe to await the line to be cleared. It seems to have crossed over to the down to travel in the right direction from Basford Hall to Crewe station (much easier that way) based on your account.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Thank you Andy, I guess that makes sense. Would have loved to have known how far it had gone down......it may have only been to the bridge in the distance but sadly I have no idea.

It was quite funny because when I got to that side of the bridge and saw it there were 2 other spotters there. I said "where on earth is that going?" they looked at me in digust and said "well to Crewe obviously". I then pointed out to them the line it was travelling on to which they said "Oh, I didn't notice that" and they never uttered a single word to me at all after :D:D

Edited by Iron Horse
Adding further info