Orange peel

19 hours ago, Campaman said:

The other problem we have as modelers spraying is that on bigger items you would usually flat the primer back to give a smooth surface for the top coat, this is not easy or always possible on our models so we can end up with a rougher finish.

Thinking about this.....

Has anyone ever used a "sand-blast" airbrush ( similar to this https://www.everythingairbrush.com/badger-mini-sandblaster-model-260-1.html) to flat their primer or other layers? If the abrasive medium is fine enough, it could overcome the problem of flatting around small detail. Everything would need a damn good wash to remove the gritty residue, but could this be a solution?

Thoughts?

• Informative/Useful 2

Could some colours be more prone to orange peel than others? I have just had the same experience spraying with Halfords VW Gambia Red, which is pretty close to Burgundy Red. Just seems a coincidence- three of us, similar colour, at much the same time.

Perhaps it's just spraying season! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just finished spraying my Stanier Mogul using Auto Tek Etching primer, followed by two coats of Hycote Double Acrylic (Satin Black) purchased from a car spares shop. The primer is lovely and smooth but the two top coat tends to flood out and is not as controllable as an airbrush.

20190716_182459_resized.jpg.a56d3790163a301ed81baa673846619d.jpg

20190716_182449_resized.jpg

20190716_182456_resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1