Zimmo MX699 'O' Gauge Sound problems

silverlink

Hi,

I have just fitted two new Zimmo MX699 decoders in two different locos and whilst the first one ('O' gauge Britannia) works really well the second one (Loveless 'O' gauge A4) runs really badly jerking up the track at all speeds. Before fitting the chip I ran the loco in Analogue mode on my rolling road where it performed faultlessly.  Am I right that it may need matching up to the motor or could it be back emf that needs altering.

Hope someone on RMweb has an answer.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, 

From memory setting cv 302 = 75 causes an automated run in forward direction, to assess the basic load factor of the motor. 5m of straight level track is required.

regards Kim

2 hours ago, Quatford said:

From memory setting cv 302 = 75 causes an automated run in forward direction, to assess the basic load factor of the motor. 5m of straight level track is required.

In this context it is just a wrong fact that this influences motor running.

The procedure only measures the basic load of the motor and nothing else.

This value is being used to determine when the chuff sound should go to louder chuffs if there is more load.

Just influences sound, not motor.

Only ESU has a real motor parameter setting procedure.

Wolf

Edited by Hamburger

So, back at the original poster's question, yes the motor control parameters will need adjusting.   Its a matter of systematic trial&error working through settings to get to the optimum.    Documented in the decoder manual from Zimo, available on the Zimo website.  Pages 22 and 23 is where to start on this. 

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-large-scale_decoders_E.pdf

• RMweb Premium

According to the Loveless website all A4's now come with Faulhaber (coreless) motors, which would tend to explain the problem. It sounded typical coreless reaction. Although one would have thought they would have set the decoder up considering this, presuming it came with the sound already installed. Anyway, the Zimo decoder manual above suggests basic cv settings for coreless, cv 9 = 12 and cv56 = 111.

Izzy