Repainting at grouping

Mr chapman

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

Except when it is "Joint" as in S&DJR...................

I haven't done a count but I suspect honours are about even. 

Junction:

GJR

B&DJR

N&SWJR

MSJ&AR

HB&WRJR&DCo

SA&MJR

spring to mind. Many constituent companies of the big five Scottish companies had "Junction" in their title. The E&WYUR went for "Union" possibly because there had been an E&WYJR that became a constituent of the Y&NMR and hence the NER.

Joint:

M&GNJR

S&DJR

P&WJR

A&NJR

F&MJR

S&KJR

O&IJR

N&SJR

T&HJR

to list just some of the ones the Midland was involved in. The largest and most important joint line of all didn't have the word in its title: Cheshire Lines Committee.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, IWCR said:

Generally  stock  would  only  be  repainted when due in its maintenance cycle,  However  there could be exceptions,  for  example  stock  for  a  premier  service  might  get  a  repaint.

The  Isle  of  Wight  was  mentioned,  its  true  most  pre  SR  carriages were  withdrawn  in  the  old  colours and  numbers however  most  of  this  was  very  soon  after  grouping,  Much  of  this  was  replaced  by  freshly  overhauled  (and  painted)  stock  from  the  mainland  leaving  the  local  workshop with  little  to  do  hence  the  several  rakes  of  the older  stock   being  kept  for   3  or  4  years  did  get  repainted  into  SR  livery.

Pete

Plus of course the first O2s were sent over still in LSWR livery, despite having been taken into Eastleigh works for the fitting of air brakes...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I haven't done a count but I suspect honours are about even. 

Junction:

GJR

B&DJR

N&SWJR

MSJ&AR

HB&WRJR&DCo

SA&MJR

spring to mind. Many constituent companies of the big five Scottish companies had "Junction" in their title. The E&WYUR went for "Union" possibly because there had been an E&WYJR that became a constituent of the Y&NMR and hence the NER.

Joint:

M&GNJR

S&DJR

P&WJR

A&NJR

F&MJR

S&KJR

O&IJR

N&SJR

T&HJR

to list just some of the ones the Midland was involved in. The largest and most important joint line of all didn't have the word in its title: Cheshire Lines Committee.

Some others also avoided the practice altogether.

The Carlisle Citadel Station Act comes to mind. 2 members LNWR & Caledonian

There was also the Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee, with 4 members, the LNWR, Caledonian, Midland & G&SWR.

• Agree 1

• 9 months later...

A very specific request, perhaps, but also possibly applicable to all LNER tank locomotives appearing in lined black livery. I am looking to establish the lining layout on the rear of the bunker of an F4 c1923 (106e, just like on the box). It is possible the post 1928 scheme was different. So far what I have seen of F4 lining in general is that it corresponds only in some areas to that stated in the LNER forum site, namely that:

- bunker lining does not extend around the bunker but remains on the single panel

- lined boiler bands are seldom applied (I know its hard to see them, but I rreally have looked with a strong magnifier) 

- lining does not extend over the roof

- spectacle plates are not lined, nor are spectacles

Most of those pictures in which I have been able to see the lining are from the 1920s/early 1930s. By the late 1930s they seem too filthy to tell.

Regardless, back to the bunker. I have already inspected it.

Your help, inspiration and chatter is very welcome!

best,

Marcus