petejones

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

I'm not sure what you gain by widening the board apart from the ability to use your level crossing.

I have the board on a table that is about 120x180cm, so it makes sense to use the full space (or slightly more). As long as I can lift the final board, I'll be OK - I will test the weight once I have purchased a couple of sheets of thin ply (I will use this to cover the edging as it's a bit rough and ready at the moment and the board + craftfoam sheet needs to be hidden). This will be a semi-permanent layout, to be moved only when moving house (hopefully).

Incidentally, I hope to use the basic ideas from this layout for a round-the-room / end-to-end layout in the future, so taking the single line branch approach and having a junction at one end, a halt along the route and a terminus at the other end. If it does end up being a round-the-room layout, I will have a "cheat" section where I can continue trains round the entire circuit, but switch it off / ignore it for proper running sessions.

Good idea to move the halt away from the edge of the board. That has allowed me to move the whole lot down a tad as two of the signals are quite near the edge at the top.

v.3.9.jpg

• Like 1

I crayoned some squiggles on the plan to show the road and river! I hope the finished layout doesn't look this gross :blush:

plan.jpg

And the distant is in the river!

Edited by petejones
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, petejones said:

I crayoned some squiggles on the plan to show the road and river! I hope the finished layout doesn't look this gross :blush:

plan.jpg

And the distant is in the river!

But easily moved ashore.

I know it's a slight cliché but have thought about a tunnel, or perhaps better a cuttting with a road overbridge,  on the left hand  side to visually break up the oval.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

I know it's a slight cliché but have thought about a tunnel, or perhaps better a cuttting with a road overbridge,  on the left hand  side to visually break up the oval. 

Yes I might do. I was going to raise the height of the ground in the middle, to the left of the road using craftfoam, which is 25mm thick. If I build it up to perhaps 100mm or even 125mm, I can create a cutting around where the hut is located. I want to avoid the classic Hornby tunnel look if I can! A road overbridge is a good idea - I have a kit of one as luck would have it.

Edited by petejones

17 hours ago, petejones said:

I have the board on a table that is about 120x180cm, so it makes sense to use the full space (or slightly more). As long as I can lift the final board, I'll be OK - I will test the weight once I have purchased a couple of sheets of thin ply (I will use this to cover the edging as it's a bit rough and ready at the moment and the board + craftfoam sheet needs to be hidden). This will be a semi-permanent layout, to be moved only when moving house (hopefully).

Incidentally, I hope to use the basic ideas from this layout for a round-the-room / end-to-end layout in the future, so taking the single line branch approach and having a junction at one end, a halt along the route and a terminus at the other end. If it does end up being a round-the-room layout, I will have a "cheat" section where I can continue trains round the entire circuit, but switch it off / ignore it for proper running sessions.

Good idea to move the halt away from the edge of the board. That has allowed me to move the whole lot down a tad as two of the signals are quite near the edge at the top.

v.3.9.jpg

Have you considered a Deane pattern fiddleyard (where the fiddleyard is placed behind the terminus so both can be conveniently reached by a lone operator, and a "siding" sneaks off from the station throat to disappear behind the scenic break and join one of the FY roads to create a continuous run), if not for this layout, for your planned round-the-room? With a bit of thought, it probably wouldn't be hard to disguise the FY as a bay platform and sidings for a partially modelled junction station.

As an aside, the concept of the scenic fiddleyard enjoyed something of a vogue in the early 80s. I can recall at least a couple of plans in RM at the time which employed it in one form or another, and I've recently noticed that one of CJ Freezer's roundy schemes in the PSL book Track Plans incorporates a pseudo marshalling yard and inner relief road for the purpose. It's an idea I rather like, because if you're pushed for space (isn't everybody?) it seems a shame to lose a big chunk of it to the offstage areas.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, PatB said:

Have you considered a Deane pattern fiddleyard (where the fiddleyard is placed behind the terminus so both can be conveniently reached by a lone operator, and a "siding" sneaks off from the station throat to disappear behind the scenic break and join one of the FY roads to create a continuous run), if not for this layout, for your planned round-the-room?

Yes this sounds like a plan for the future layout - thanks.

I have all the bits and pieces I need now (hopefully), so will get to work. I have a small selection of Ratio/Wills kits, most of which have been assembled. I have the Ratio GWR station building to assemble, but I will add a flat canopy roof, rather than use the apex canopy it comes with. I prefer plastic kits over the pre-painted resin buildings as (a) they are cheaper and (b) they are easier to customise, even if it's just the painting scheme/style.

• RMweb Gold

Another disadvantage of resin RTP buildings is that they have very thick walls which means that it is very difficult to hide this should you decide to provide internal lighting for them.  I ultimately want to do this on my layout and hence the station building, a cut and shut of 2 Hornby resin items, will have to be replaced by either a kit or scratchbuild, or some major surgery carried out on the resin building; either way, a lot of work and effort.  I will probably opt for the latter plan, as I rather like the building I have.

Internal lighting of kit or scratch buildings needs care in ensuring that the light does not 'spill' through cracks or glow through the plastic.  I'd recommend ensuring that your kits are light sealed when you build them, then you'll be ready to go if you want lighting any time in the future.  Don't forget. that all lighting, even low voltage LEDs, gives off heat and the lit areas have to be ventilated as well

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I'd recommend ensuring that your kits are light sealed when you build them, then you'll be ready to go if you want lighting any time in the future.  Don't forget. that all lighting, even low voltage LEDs, gives off heat and the lit areas have to be ventilated as well

Great thanks for the info. I will be adding lighting to all the buildings (with a separate switch for each so they don't all have to be on at the same time). I forgot about the heat build-up.

I've not read the entire thread but have you seen this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bredon+OO&rlz=1C5CHFA_enGB842GB842&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiY6fmVsNPjAhUaHcAKHcQxDuUQ_AUIESgB&biw=1366&bih=1001#imgrc=JwntlmUjlJM6LM:

It's been discussed here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79714-the-best-train-set-layout-you-ever-saw/

As a plan for a layout using set track I think it takes a lot of beating and the final model is gorgeous. It was built to test construction techniques for a larger layout.

Edited by Anglian
  • Thanks 1

Right, time for the lever frame. This is what I've cobbled together so far (assumed clockwise is Up):

1. Signal, Up, Distant
  2. Signal, Up, Home, Platform
  3. Signal, Up, Home, Loop
  4. Signal, Up, Starter, Platform
  5. Signal, Up, Starter, Loop
  6. Points, Up Loop
  7. Points, Up Siding
  8. Points, Goods Shed Siding
  9. Signal, Shunt, Goods Shed Siding
  10. Signal, Shunt, Engine Shed Siding
  11. Points, Down Siding
  12. Points, Down Loop
  13. Signal, Down, Starter, Loop
  14. Signal, Down, Starter, Platform
  15. Signal, Down, Home, Loop
  16. Signal, Down, Home, Platform
  17. Signal, Down, Distant

Do I need an electrical release to the Lever Ground Frame?

Edited by petejones

• RMweb Gold

If the distants are fixed, you don’t need levers for them.  But the points controlled by levers 6 and 12 have passenger trains passing over them, which means they must have facing point locks.  Two levers are needed for these; to operate the point lever, you first pull the point lock lever to release it, then the point lever, then you replace the point lock lever (or the interlocking won’t allow you to pull the signal lever!). 

The ground frame that operates the halt siding also needs an fpl and a lever to operate it in the same way.  It can be electrically released from the signalbox, in which case there will be a telephone in a white painted cabinet so the guard can ask the box to release it, the cabinet probably being unlocked with the guard’s no.1 key.  Alternatively, it can be released with a key fitted to the section staff or token, carried on the loco. 

So, you still need a 17 lever frame, but the numbers will be different. 

How is your level crossing operated?  It’s too far from the signal box to be operated from there and in any case the signalman doesn’t have a proper view of the road traffic.  It must be either a manually operated occupation crossing, which it can’t be because this is a public road accessing the station, or has a crossing keeper, who must have a hut or possibly a cottage. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great, thanks for the info. I may leave the distants operational for test sessions. I have the Ratio lever frame kit which has 20 slots for levers, so I have the room, with one spare.

23 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

How is your level crossing operated?

It will be operated by a keeper, probably in a hut as there isn't much room for a cottage (I will see once I have the board done and track laid out).

Edited by petejones

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, yes, but you need confirmation from someone who knows more about signalling than I do, Pete.  Again IIRC the lever colours are yellow for distant signals, red for stop signals, black for points and blue for locking levers.  Spares are white (AFAIK all frames had some), and black and white chevrons for detonator levers, to be used to draw a driver’s attention if he was overrunning signals.  

Where a box operated a level crossing, the gates were moved by a large white wheel, but there must have been locking for this. I can’t now recall what form this took or what colour it was painted.  

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks. Time to build one of those Ratio signals this evening! I gave up on the Ratio station building - some of their kits are good, but others are very poorly done. I will either try and source a suitable replacement off ebay or make my own.

All 20 levers now in use in the frame!

1. Signal, Up, Distant
  2. Signal, Up, Home, Platform
  3. Signal, Up, Home, Loop (A)
  4. Signal, Up, Starter, Platform
  5. Signal, Up, Starter, Loop (A)
  6. Facing Point Lock, Up Loop (A)
  7. Points, Up Loop (A)
  8. Points, Up Siding
  9. Points, Goods Shed Siding
  10. Signal, Shunt, Goods Shed Siding
  11. Signal, Shunt, Engine Shed Siding
  12. Electrical Release to 2 Lever Ground Frame
  13. Points, Down Siding
  14. Facing Point Lock, Down Loop (B)
  15. Points, Down Loop (B)
  16. Signal, Down, Starter, Loop (B)
  17. Signal, Down, Starter, Platform
  18. Signal, Down, Home, Loop (B)
  19. Signal, Down, Home, Platform
  20. Signal, Down, Distant
Edited by petejones

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea of simple roundy layouts for quick testing and play value. I'm definitely going  to do one with the kids but it will be as much for me as them! 

One thing I would say about your terrain view though is that I'd have the road from the halt go to the left over a bridge (or tunnel if you want to hide some of the curve) as the direct link you have to the main station road highlights the short distance between them.

Watching with interest.

Kind regards, Neil 

Edited by Anotheran
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

More minor fiddling - definitely going to drop the engine shed.

I'm just going to knock up a plan to show this exact same layout as an end-to-end to see how it looks for a future idea.

I've not been idle this past week - I have built the goods shed, coal yard, coal loading stage, signal box (and interior) and several small lineside huts (I won't use them all, but thought I'd assemble them all whilst I was at it). Next up, painting it all. Still not settled on a station building. The one from Ratio was a waste of time, so most of the parts have gone in my spare bits box, the four bits I stuck (badly) together went in the bin. I may settle on the Wills wooden station building. The platform is only 72cm long, so I don't want a station building taking up too much space. I should build one from scratch but don't want to get too side-tracked on this layout (it happened several times before and I lost heart as the previous layouts took too long). Perhaps I will add a padoga style hut as well (they have one at Glyndyfrdwy on the Llangollen Railway).

v.3.14.jpg

Edited by petejones