Lima class 59

Morning all, I have just bought one of these, my other 3 locos are Bachmann. I have the 59 pulling a rake of 7 bogie tipplers two of which have full loads not dummies. My question is, after approx. 5 mins the Lima just stops, and I have to leave it for 5 mins before it runs again and repeats the process, are these motors prone to overheating when worked? Thanks, Tim.

2 minutes ago, D08 said:

Morning all, I have just bought one of these, my other 3 locos are Bachmann. I have the 59 pulling a rake of 7 bogie tipplers two of which have full loads not dummies. My question is, after approx. 5 mins the Lima just stops, and I have to leave it for 5 mins before it runs again and repeats the process, are these motors prone to overheating when worked? Thanks, Tim.

Check that the wheelsets, pickups and motor are clean and free of dirt/grease/fluff, best to strip it right down and scrub every part clean.  Any build up can put strain on the motor, drawing more amps from the controller than it can deliver, so it will shut it down while it resets. 

Lima motors are pretty indestructible and will run all day without a problem.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JiLo said:

Check that the wheelsets, pickups and motor are clean and free of dirt/grease/fluff, best to strip it right down and scrub every part clean.  Any build up can put strain on the motor, drawing more amps from the controller than it can deliver, so it will shut it down while it resets. 

Lima motors are pretty indestructible and will run all day without a problem.

I would agree, it certainly sounds like the controller isn't up to the job and shuts down.

D08 What controller are you using?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, D08 said:

Sorry for delay, the old Hornby 965, I prefer it to the newer one as it gives me better speed control.

A troublesome device, buy something better!

• Agree 1