LENZ and Hornby Select

MartynA

I have dipped my toe into DCC a while back and am slowly expanding my setup. I still use a Hornby Select with a couple of Hornby Decoded locomotives and a Bachmann Next 18 decoder in Webb Coal Tank. I now have a Bachmann Jubilee and a 4F which are DCC ready with a 21 pin socket. Will a LENZ Silver 21 pin decoder be compatible with the Select and the other locos? I know the Select has many limitations and I will be upgrading at some point but, for now, it does enough for me! Is the LENZ an appropriate decoder to still use when I upgrade my DCC system? Anybody recommend a better decoder to use now but will be future proof? I have had a search around the forum but to no avail! Thanks millions in advance!

• RMweb Gold

The only decoders that I have personally had issues with the Select are TCS. They interpret the noisy wavefrom from the Select as DC and run off at full speed! Turning off DC running in CV29 sorts it but you need the latest firmware in the Select to be able to do this I think.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

The only decoders that I have personally had issues with the Select are TCS. They interpret the noisy wavefrom from the Select as DC and run off at full speed! Turning off DC running in CV29 sorts it but you need the latest firmware in the Select to be able to do this I think.

You can turn DC running support off on the Select controller at a reset (Off is the default setting in v1.6) but at track level this also needs to be done for individual decoders, which is where Select v1.6 comes in by allowing you to change CVs 1-255 for any supported value 0-255 (decoder capability dependant obviously).

Edit - you can easily damp the Select waveform ringing by loading the track with a few DCC locos. It is worse in the no load condition.

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1