Stand alone DecoderPro system

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Previously I tried to get a PCDuino up and running so that I could run Decoder Pro and a Sprog in a standalone system

Although the PCDuino worked fine, the version of Lubuntu installed couldn't be updated as it was customised (due to the ARM processor) so the version of Java possible and required for JMRI was ancient.

Too much work program wise for me to carry on.

So:

Possible Raspberry Pi?

I have the PSU, Keyboard, Mouse, 7" HDMI display, 32Gb micro SD, USB hub and a Sprog.

What would be required to get it up and running using A RPi?

Would this Pi be suitable?:

https://www.rapidonline.com/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-1-quad-core-1-4ghz-1gb-ram-wifi-bluetooth-75-1005

The PI will work.  I have a "Pi 3" and that works OK, the new "Pi 4" is reported to be OK, but may overheat so put a cooling fan on it.

For the DecoderPro setup, you can either install the Operating System, then JMRI, then setup the JMRI settings, or you can download an image file for a SD card from Steve Todd's website, which has the PI operating system, JMRI, preconfigured to startup, detect the hardware connected (Sprog in your case), starts up a webserver, so you can access it from a smartphone or other system as required.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel

I just want to be able to use Decoder Pro without using my main railway PC, so keyboard & mouse will be the order of the day.

Currently I use the Main PC whilst it is also running Train Controller but sometimes I would like to set up a decoder when it is off.

I purchased a small (Pi compatible ) display when I was messing with the PCDuino.

I have given up with that as it was running an ARM specific version of Lubuntu 12.04 and there hasn't been an update, which limits the Java version which can be installed and hence the version of JMRI

I'd still use Steve Todd's image file - it will work with local keyboard/mouse/display.   Steve's website documents what is inside his build file. 

If you're sharing DecoderPro files across machines, then there is some web information around about using DropBox, or other shared folder systems, to share the Roster files over multiple machines.   Might be easier than constantly copying files manually between machines 

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

HI Nigel

I've ordered a RPI 3 B +, which should arrive saturday or sunday and have downloaded the software you recommended (as well as the images from the Raspberry PI Home page).

Let's see how I get on.

Cheers

Keith

9 hours ago, melmerby said:

HI Nigel

I've ordered a RPI 3 B +, which should arrive saturday or sunday and have downloaded the software you recommended (as well as the images from the Raspberry PI Home page).

Let's see how I get on.

Should be working very quickly after all the bits arrive.   Plug keyboard, mouse, monitor, Sprog into PI.  Put in SD card, turn on power, watch it boot up. 

Steve Todd's image file turns the PI into a WiFi access point.  That's OK for stand-alone.  But, if you want it to connect to your home WiFi (for updates, etc.), then you will need to find the bit in Steve's documentation on how to swap the PI back into a WiFi Client device, and set it to access your home WiFi. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium
On 27/07/2019 at 09:18, Nigelcliffe said:

Should be working very quickly after all the bits arrive.   Plug keyboard, mouse, monitor, Sprog into PI.  Put in SD card, turn on power, watch it boot up. 

Steve Todd's image file turns the PI into a WiFi access point.  That's OK for stand-alone.  But, if you want it to connect to your home WiFi (for updates, etc.), then you will need to find the bit in Steve's documentation on how to swap the PI back into a WiFi Client device, and set it to access your home WiFi. 

- Nigel

Hi Nigel

Pi arrived Saturday lunchtime so I've managed to have a bit of time with it.

As I was starting from scratch with a Pi, I proceeded the conventional way by loading the normal Pi OS (using Noobs) onto a micro SD card. and booting from that so that I could get the feel of it

I then I created the JMRI version image on a different micro SD, swapped memory cards and booted from the JMRI one.

Looks good but I'll have to change the display resolution as it is not what I am using. 

Should the JMRI image include Decoder Pro? I couldn't see it among the programs that were available with the JMRI suite.

There is only one JMRI program.   All the names of elements (DecoderPro, PanelPro, etc..) are just views, or different starting places, into the same functionality.   All are accessible from each other.    The "DecoderPro" starting point is the view of the Roster.

I can't remember how to get Linux to start particular views (so would have to spend time faffing to get an answer).  The alternative is to set preferences on what to open/start within JMRI. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel

After a bit of a problem getting the display resolution correct it is all now working, although I have stuck with a full install of Raspbian and loaded JMRI myself.

Nice that USB devices (e.g. Sprog) are now instantly recognised, last time I was playing with Linux it was a game and a half to get anything working!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1