Gismorail's Darkside of the Shed.

gismorail

The time is right for a move to 'THE DARKSIDE' 

715453382_TheDarkside001(950x777).jpg.72c4435256dcf91be001bcc0d49035e2.jpg

'Hey you'

....'Is there anyone out there '  I suppose it's time I put my head above 'The Wall' and as I was feeling 

'Comfortably Numb' I though it was about time I started 'Another Brick In THE WALL' with a brand new thread 'In the Flesh' about my stumbling's in the world of 0 gauge which will eventually fill the 'Empty Spaces' within the shed. I've always had 'High Hopes' of producing a permanent layout before I attend 'The Great Gig In The Sky ' and depending on 'Time' and 'Money' I'm hoping that 'One Of These Days' I will be able to achieve this ambition. As 'The Happiest Days Of Our Lives ' are spent in 'THE SHED'  many would say that Railway Modellers are 'On The Run'  and suffering from Brain Damage'  but the truth we are really 'Learning to Fly' so 'Don't Leave Me Now ' and lets 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun ' and 'Eclipse' all of our expectations.

'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'

Well now you all know ..it's out in the open for all the world to read about and although I'm not totally new to the 0 gauge 'bug' as I used to have a Layout in the Garden at my previous home which gave great pleasure and fun. I do have ideas about what I  wish to create layout wise and it will involve The Cheshire Lines theme connected to the Western Region which more that likely set the scene of something in the North Wales area. I have in fact built the fiddle yard for this layout which at present doubles up as a very large Shunting plank / test bench which is all good. 

The following couple of shots will give you some idea of what I'm on about 

695040135_FiddleYaed0gauge009(900x742).jpg.906477e90b3cde482d1a80d1e25bbdfd.jpg

2048395986_FiddleYaed0gauge005(858x900).jpg.fb75c8cf095fddc6e88600841d8d36ed.jpg

The real purpose of starting this thread is to show some of the stock that will feature on the layout and some of my thoughts towards the build. Hopefully others will get inspiration from my ramblings and as the layout 'Will never leave Home ' as they say if your living in the North Wales and Borders Area come a join in . 

But whatever happens 'It's got the be FUN' 

• Like 13

Well done mate, Glad you've come out, as they say, and as for the title, I love it, when in my TOPS I tend to have the Live at Gdansk album on which starts with Shine on you Crazy Diamond and ends with Comfortably Numb, so has some of the Worlds best Guitar Solos ever, along with Echos. 

Looking forward to seeing it all finished in November when I come up to Bala.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

52 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Well done mate, Glad you've come out, as they say, and as for the title, I love it, when in my TOPS I tend to have the Live at Gdansk album on which starts with Shine on you Crazy Diamond and ends with Comfortably Numb, so has some of the Worlds best Guitar Solos ever, along with Echos. 

Looking forward to seeing it all finished in November when I come up to Bala.

:crazy_mini: Heyho I'm not that much of a 'Crazy Diamond' :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Hi Gismorail.

Nice to see you making a new start and I look forward to watching developments. Your fiddle yard is somewhat similar to mine and I seem to remember you posting a photo of it on my Ramchester thread. Until now I had assumed that you had a complete layout so this is a nice surprise.

Rod 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, railwayrod said:

Forgot to mention. Howard is a classical fan while my taste in music is very wide but I really like the late 50's and early 60's. Great stuff!

Rod

:offtopic:

You would have liked us then Rod, The Silvertones, 50's / 60's Rock and Roll. :good:

768494573_vospers525sep04.JPG.8a013bdde45a61afb965e524d8751376.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Martin, great news! Looking forwards to seeing more.

My modeling music of choice is Yes.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. 

Well all I can say is 'Yours is no Disgrace' but don't forget that even 7mm locomotives are 'Fragile' so don't model too 'Close to the Edge' :scared:

Edited by gismorail
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, railwayrod said:

Forgot to mention. Howard is a classical fan while my taste in music is very wide but I really like the late 50's and early 60's. Great stuff!

Rod

Yes you got a sneak preview of my 'Darkside 'Rod with that picture of the Fiddle Yard as I have said before I get a great deal of inspiration from you wonderful Layout :fan:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, gismorail said:

One does wonder as to where the group's name came from '''''''''''''':declare:

Our fist Gig was British Grand Prix weekend and we had no name for the Posters, so I came up with the Silver Stones, which Ken, our Lead Guitarist changed to The Silvertones.:good:

Showing one of our 7 Drummers over some 15 years.

1638010911_zBandPosterPhoto.JPG.a6943efe2e7bab93dde43c3f044b9ffa.JPG

194111736_P1010008-Copy.JPG.0119069764405f0f8b18866c674e201a.JPG

NOW BACK ON TRACK, Do you have a Track Plan mate.

Edited by Andrew P
aded a word
  • Funny 3

Well I'm glad that folks are glad to that I have come out about my 'Darkside'  though I'm not sure where the expression originated from though I have often thought it was a North Wales thing :jester:

When Dapol announced that they were going to produce the Fowler 3F Jinty I thought 'now that's going to sale well' as it's an ideal locomotive for a compact 0 gauge layout but at the time I hadn't really considered one as I had no evidence of any working around the former Cheshire Lines in the Chester area. It wasn't until I had started to look towards the Wrexham Central area which the former Cheshire Lines / Great Central shared with the Great Western that it became a possible locomotive that could fit into any future layout as I knew that two were allocated at Wrexham Rhosddu shed from 1956 to 1958. (47284 47491). Following further investigation into the workings on the former Wrexham, Mold & Conah's Quay railway which formed the first part of the line towards Chester that they were tried on mineral workings in the Wrexham area as a substitute for the GWR 0-6-0 PT locomotives used widely in the area. 

The following photograph shows 47491 heading north through Gwersyllt station August 1958. 

1796434380_jinty011(950x516).jpg.1694cd7d3ac18787ce7791b18b68b0f5.jpg

(own collection )

At this time Hattons had there 'Sale of the Century' on so I managed to buy the early LMS livery example which was at the cheapest price and after much rubbing with t-cut and cotton buds I was able to remove the transfers and the locomotive was renumbered as 47491 and the weathering process was started. 

1696166493_Ebayjuly02002(950x433).jpg.3a356b423e9b2c0c126a2784b56401a0.jpg

The chassis underframe was painted / washed with a mixture of Humbrol 33 mat black and Phoenix P999 gunmetal (metallic) with a touch of talcum powder to give a bit of texture to the mix. The wheels had a similar mixture but without the talcum powder and the connecting rods were treated with mix of gloss tan (No9) a small amount of Humbrol 'metalcote in a fairly diluted form. Once dry I then treated all the areas with weathering powders to complete and all the wheels and pickups were cleaned. 

297178066_Ebayjuly02004(950x739).jpg.235241bf38d2e2cc460bca9683888bd2.jpg

Before I sprayed the main body I applied Maskol over the windows and some masking tape around the cab entrance to protect the excellent cab details that are within this model.

2017346882_Ebayjuly02005(950x663).jpg.9b7d33b348efaa88ae6146c6a1866493.jpg

689999718_Ebayjuly02007(950x610).jpg.5f1bb19067d17f2fd3703a361e2bf5a5.jpg

The whole body was then lightly sprayed with 50/50 Humbrol 32 & Phoenix P999 Gunmetal Metallic . I like the metallic / metalcote  range as it leaves a slight sparkle on the paintwork which looks like coal dust especially when carefully rubbed with a cotton bud once dry. The dried paintwork was then lightly treated with weathering powders and then a quick coat of Matt Varnish to seal the finished work. 

A Zimo sound project has been installed along with a large stay-a-live unit and twin speakers which was kindly made up by 'Jintyman' of this parish. (Thanks David it works a treat and sound's awesome ) 

1490243608_jinty001(950x657).jpg.8eac8c1a9c0894d5417be1fd37483ead.jpg

548334111_jinty003(950x591).jpg.727e644cec42c3b34f37b2afc7b2a435.jpg

A final touch was to add a Modelu loco crew ( 1069-043 Fireman with firing shovel & 1062 - 043R Driver leaning on the cabside. ) these are really excellent models which seem to come to life once painted. 

936102380_jinty009(950x710).jpg.25a32be0ee15b77ea7494b26f1732024.jpg

464024171_jinty005(950x639).jpg.afa33ab94c79fc2ff18157f34ea658dd.jpg

466715270_jinty008(950x943).jpg.52bc69b87211f480403bf2be4d6e215f.jpg

A nice touch that Dapol have included in this model is the flickering fire box when the coal shovelling function is in operation and when caught with the right camera angel it makes an appealing scene. 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

looking GOOD Martin.  Is the intention to run it outside into your garden?

We used to drive through Bala only stopping for a few beers to break our journey down onto the Llyn Peninsula.

Happy days in the early 70's beer, women and lobsters.

Best

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Our fist Gig was British Grand Prix weekend and we had no name for the Posters, so I came up with the Silver Stones, which Ken, our Lead Guitarist changed to The Silvertones.:good:

Showing one of our 7 Drummers over some 15 years.

1638010911_zBandPosterPhoto.JPG.a6943efe2e7bab93dde43c3f044b9ffa.JPG

194111736_P1010008-Copy.JPG.0119069764405f0f8b18866c674e201a.JPG

NOW BACK ON TRACK, Do you have a Track Plan mate.

OMG Andy after that last photograph how can I possibly think of any track plan expect 'One Track' mind maybe.........Well even within the first page of this new thread we have uncovered Andy P's 'DARKSIDE' ......I do wonder how long this thread will be allowed .....after a start like this :scared::jester:

• Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

looking GOOD Martin.  Is the intention to run it outside into your garden?

We used to drive through Bala only stopping for a few beers to break our journey down onto the Llyn Peninsula.

Happy days in the early 70's beer, women and lobsters.

Best

Many thanks for your kind comments , there is a possible route into the yard alongside the shed in the distant future . With regard to the Beer probably not on a Sunday as Wales was Dry on a Sunday with regard to the women I think you should ask Andy P after his last post :laugh:  I'll just go for the Lobster's mmmmmmm yummy 

• Like 2

My next little project has been the completion of a half made Slaters LMS / BR 20ton Brake van kit. I bought this well over ten years ago at an 0 Gauge Guild Show at Bolton School. I really enjoyed the Guild shows when they were held there excellent models in a stunning building shame that it's no held there now, anyone remember the venue ???

2018722406_DSC03603(950x662).jpg.5cb60bc0033507d8ecb722217b1c0769.jpg

631988936_DSC03614(950x607).jpg.76efbeabd4444882b7bc204726b17b69.jpg

The ballast boxes were missing and only the main body had been assembled and part of the chassis. Like a lot of so called 'kit is complete' there's always bits 'gone astray' ( note to myself don't buy another one :warning:)  I soon managed to make up some ballast boxes with plastic card and a rummage through my spares box like brakes etc and brass wire fabricated the other missing parts. 

880638131_DSC03608(950x255).jpg.0d2695795c52f8f0055098aed53ba566.jpg

The real appeal of 0 gauge to me is the fact that one can really add the extra detail and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way . I'm thinking that all brake vans should have working tail lights it would be a nice touch. 

2131060899_DSC03615(950x939).jpg.d896ed444a912766c9cc916df6e64863.jpg

The next job is to apply some transfers to give this model some identification will have to have a shop around for a suitable supplier.

I need a favour at this point from all you knowledgeable folks. On the above photograph the top line of letters  are CAP in large white letters. My question is what does this mean and what does CAP stand for ......probably a very silly question :senile:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Gismo,

The CAP is a TOPS coding so certainly too modern for your use, which going by the Jinty I would imagine is late 50's and early 60's

The Ex LMS brakevan in your picture has an Engineering number so obviously it had been seconded into the Engineering fleet during the TOPS period.

Ex LMS 20t brakevans like that for your period would carry either a 'M' or a 'B' number, sometimes on a black panel.

Railtec again I believe do a set of transfers for this vehicle, here is a link to their website and hopefully the actual product you need:  http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1804

Product code: 7mm 6183

Hope that helps.

The Jinty is a stunning piece of work, very very nice.

Tell me, how long does it keep running for if you lift it off the track? ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's probably a bit modern for you, Martin. So far as I'm aware it's a TOPS CARKND code for a non-automatic brake fitted brake van, with a through vacuum brake pipe. It only has a hand brake. Love the JInty. Trevor. Edit -  Sorry, Jintyman posted while I was typing! T

Edited by shedman
overlapping posts.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Jintyman said:

Hi Gismo,

The CAP is a TOPS coding so certainly too modern for your use, which going by the Jinty I would imagine is late 50's and early 60's

The Ex LMS brakevan in your picture has an Engineering number so obviously it had been seconded into the Engineering fleet during the TOPS period.

Ex LMS 20t brakevans like that for your period would carry either a 'M' or a 'B' number, sometimes on a black panel.

Railtec again I believe do a set of transfers for this vehicle, here is a link to their website and hopefully the actual product you need:  http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1804

Product code: 7mm 6183

Hope that helps.

The Jinty is a stunning piece of work, very very nice.

Tell me, how long does it keep running for if you lift it off the track? ;)

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Conducted an experiment tonight the Jinty ran for 6ft 2ins from when the power was cut. I then left the function 1 on lifted it from the track and the sound carried on for an amazing 2min 15 seconds .......impressive in my book. :fan:

• Like 5

On 02/08/2019 at 00:23, gismorail said:

My next little project has been the completion of a half made Slaters LMS / BR 20ton Brake van kit. I bought this well over ten years ago at an 0 Gauge Guild Show at Bolton School. I really enjoyed the Guild shows when they were held there excellent models in a stunning building shame that it's no held there now, anyone remember the venue ???

Your van looks well. I seem to remember that, when I built mine many years ago, it was an enjoyable build. Re the lettering I've always understood that, on fitted vehicles, the white lettering was usually painted straight on to the bauxite whilst on grey vehicles it was on a black background. I'm sure that there were exceptions though.

Re the sadly missed Bolton exhibition didn't it have several organizers over the years?  ISTR that the ALSRM took over from a local club and the G0G only got involved near the end.  It moved from Bolton School to Bolton Town Hall for the last couple of shows.  As an ex pupil of Bolton School I always looked forward to visiting the show. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your project.

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
Poor grammar

• RMweb Premium
On 31/07/2019 at 22:38, gismorail said:

A final touch was to add a Modelu loco crew

these are really excellent models which seem to come to life once painted. 

Ah that makes sense: I was wondering how the same guy got into photos from either side :)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1