Dapol Scharfenberg coupler kit in N

Mike Harvey

For those who have not seen these yet the 2A-000-029 kit contains a pair of close coupler mechanisms and three pairs of Scharfenberg couplers in 3 lengths - roughly 6.5mm, 8mm, 10.5mm. Each of these couplers is made up of two parts - the long coupler shaft and a U shaped cover which clips on to the front of the coupler. I found it easiest to fit these together by removing the long part from the sprue and clipping it into cover whilst the cover was still attached to the sprue. I also used a little bit of Revell Contacta glue to hold the two pieces together. These couplers will then fit into an NEM socket on a multiple unit - I used a Farish Class 350, and the coupler alone makes a dramatic cosmetic improvement. Couplers on adjacent vehicles clip together with gentle pressure by moving the two vehicles towards each other on the track. I also found they could be separated easily, but did not separate in a moving train. One important caveat is that to use the Scharfenberg couplers to their best advantage the vehicles need to have a close coupling mechanism. The Class 350 has bogie mounted NEM sockets and two adjacent vehicles with the Scharfenbergs effectively have a straight bar from bogie centre to bogie centre which restricts the use of the vehicles to a constant radius curve or an S curve with a long straight between the opposing curve radii.

Which brings me to the raison d'être for the second part of the kit which is a snap together close coupler mechanism which will accept the NEM Scharfenbergs from the kit, or any other NEM coupler like a Dapol Easishunt, or a Dapol dummy knuckle, as well as Rapidos. I will be assembling the coupler mechanism today, but as yet do not have a suitable vehicle to fit it to.

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have put together the two kinematic close coupler units today. Used a small magnetised screwdriver to keep control of the very small return spring. The return/self-centring spring is not very good at either of its roles. I think this is due to it being almost under no tension when the coupler is centred and in shortest position, and then still being under insufficient tension when it moves slightly to one side to a longer position. There is a spare spring in the packet so I may have a go with fewer turns on the spring to see if that improves performance by introducing tension with the coupler in the shortest position. The finished unit is quite bulky and requires 12mm of clear chassis length at least without wheels or bogies encroaching. I do not have anything to fit them to yet so maybe need to make up a couple of dummy bogie chassis.

• Informative/Useful 1