Adapting Peco HOm Turntable to OO Gauge

I would like to add a turntable to my yard, but needed one smaller than the OO gauge turntable from Peco - I only need to turn tank locos. I decided to opt for the HOm version and wondered if anyone else had adapted it to OO gauge? If I file down the chairs on the bridge (?) part where the loco sits and then affix the rails to the correct gauge, that should work, shouldn't it?

Thanks

Pete

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, petejones said:

I would like to add a turntable to my yard, but needed one smaller than the OO gauge turntable from Peco - I only need to turn tank locos. I decided to opt for the HOm version and wondered if anyone else had adapted it to OO gauge? If I file down the chairs on the bridge (?) part where the loco sits and then affix the rails to the correct gauge, that should work, shouldn't it?

Thanks

Pete

Don't see why not. It was what we used to do on Kitmaster turntables.

I think that I might be inclined to solder the rail to a strip of copperclad strip and then glue the strip to the turntable.

• Thanks 1

I sanded down the chairs on the top of the deck and have glued a length of code 75 track (sleepers and all) on top. The idea now is to build up the edges to look like wooden planking, then fill the area between the rails with fine sand. I will also need to raise the outer rim of the pit, so thought a circle of card rectangles to represent concrete slabs would look OK. This is my source of inspiration, the turntable at Cardigan:

Cardigan turntable.jpg

And the one at Whitland, with railings:

1936 Engine Shed.jpg

Edited by petejones
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is what I have so far - a length of 2mm card either side to build the level up to the sleepers, then another length of 2mm card either side covering the sleepers, plus a length of plasticard between the rails:

856532018_Turntable01.jpg.2e59680b7c4f3c40af2e3b474e2d9741.jpg

Just right for my 0-6-0PT:

152076512_Turntable02.jpg.489c0217b901b0aadef1946975684d20.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/08/2019 at 02:51, petejones said:

Has this project worked out ok? I looks like a good idea and I'm thinking about trying a similar conversion for my own layout.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Scale7JB said:

If anyone goes down this road again, would it be worth using 4mm chairs from one of the build your own track manufacturers?

Sounds like a plan.

Certainly, the Peco 00/H0 turntable takes the usual styrene solvents well.

If the heads of the Peco rails for H0m are 0.8 mm wide (guess) and we go for 1.5 mm flangeways, we might install the original rails and use them to set up the new ones and obtain a (12 + 2.3 + 2.3) 16.6 mm gauge. Then cut away the original rail fixings, and the new rails ought to be perfectly symmetrical across the width of the deck.

Possibly widen the deck by another 'plank' each side.

- Richard.

11 hours ago, 47137 said:

Has this project worked out ok? I looks like a good idea and I'm thinking about trying a similar conversion for my own layout.

- Richard.

I've been busy with other stuff for a while, but will be getting on with laying track and putting the turntable in place soon, so will let you know how it goes (and post some pics).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I now have a Peco H0m turntable to form the basis of a 16.5 mm gauge model. It does look promising, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to why I've not seen examples at shows or written up on the RMweb. It makes for a nice little model, much more at home on a branch line setting than the usual 70ft designs.

To avoid cross-posting or taking Pete's original post off-topic, I've posted my prototype questions here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/149320-42-ft-pre-grouping-turntable-details/

- Richard.

• Thanks 1