Hornby Class 86

Hi Gibbo,

That's really helpful and thanks for the gen. So even Railmatch aren't quite sure as to the shade!

I did an old Triang EM2 some years back in Railmatch electric blue, it looked fine to me on the basis of various pictures of the shade. Should I need to buy some more I guess its unlikely that they'll match.

John.

8 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Gibbo,

That's really helpful and thanks for the gen. So even Railmatch aren't quite sure as to the shade!

I did an old Triang EM2 some years back in Railmatch electric blue, it looked fine to me on the basis of various pictures of the shade. Should I need to buy some more I guess its unlikely that they'll match.

John.

Hi John,

Here is a photo to illustrate what I have found by my experience, from left to right Railmatch Electric Blue from 25 years ago, Railmatch Electric Blue from a year ago, a Trix body in ts original paint and Railmatch BR Blue. The modern Railmatch Electric Blue and the Trix shades are very close, the old Railmatch is quite a but lighter in shade and the BR Blue is both darker again and has a green hue to it by comparison.

What the photograph does not shew is a difference in hue due to gloss or matt finish of BR Blue, I may paint a test piece to see if it makes a discernible difference.

DSCF0877.JPG.22be4be0b87f78d8d3d8ccfd41801f97.JPG

The Slater's 2mm numbers as advised by Darius have arrived and will be fixed to the Electric Blue AL1 soon.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Like 2

That's a very interesting picture. Given the age of the Trix model they may well have had access to the real thing in original livery, if not even the paint spec. itself. So my money would be on that and the new Railmatch electric blue being correct. My resprayed EM2 looks more like the later shade, so maybe this has been current for some years now.

Thanks again,

John.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi John,

Here is a photo to illustrate what I have found by my experience, from left to right Railmatch Electric Blue from 25 years ago, Railmatch Electric Blue from a year ago, a Trix body in ts original paint and Railmatch BR Blue. The modern Railmatch Electric Blue and the Trix shades are very close, the old Railmatch is quite a but lighter in shade and the BR Blue is both darker again and has a green hue to it by comparison.

What the photograph does not shew is a difference in hue due to gloss or matt finish of BR Blue, I may paint a test piece to see if it makes a discernible difference.

DSCF0877.JPG.22be4be0b87f78d8d3d8ccfd41801f97.JPG

The Slater's 3mm numbers as advised by Darius have arrived and will be fixed to the Electric Blue AL1 soon.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

I hope you mean 2mm numbers not 3mm.

Darius

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

No strictly a Hornby class 86 but class 86 related.

Here is E3173 as far as I shall be taking it, my friend is to apply transfers and fit the body to a chassis. Should I get the body shell back to him and him finish it off it may be seen at the Kendal MRC's show on the layout Burshaw.

To develop the shape of the cab front I worked from as many photographs as I could find from different angles and then sketched what I thought looked right over a tracing of a class 86 cab from a 4mm scale drawing that I have. I then realised that the shape would be similar to that of the prototype HST which as luck would have it, it is. I had drawn the angle of the windscreen almost exactly as the prototype HST along with a slightly tighter radius of the leading edge in plan view. By chance even the lengths of the buffers were almost the same. The main difference in the shapes between the two other than the size of the window is that the leading edge of the cab on the Prototype HST comes to a sharp point across the front whereas E3173's nose cone is of a much more rounded profile.

DSCF0891.JPG.234200b06754c0533c52b2b9fc804a2b.JPG

Drawing shewing the sketches over the tracings.

1057142058_DSCF0890(2).JPG.240d961409bbd2d40e297afe017c08bc.JPG

Class 86 E3173 in N gauge as per above drawing.

I shall in time do a 4mm version for my self but I might be best to finish all of my other first generation AC electrics, I have done four of then so six to go.

Gibbo.

• Like 4