Ashtown Aggregates -a modern 'pop up' aggregates terminal

Alcanman

Having built several small layouts over the past few years, I have been looking for something a bit different for my latest project.

When Revolution Trains announced their MMA/JNA modern open box wagons, I started thinking about the possibility of modelling a modern aggregates terminal. However, these are usually large facilities with long block trains arriving with loads from stone quarries.  For a small layout , I simply imagined that a few wagons could be cut from a block train and dropped off at a small aggregates terminal.

Searches led to this CEMEX/DB Cargo ‘pop up’ terminal at Warrington.

https://www.agg-net.com/news/new-pop-up-rail-depot-in-warrington

I also found this promotional video of a recently opened aggregates railhead at Ashville Aggregates in the London area, served by GBRf.  JNA open box wagons with GBRf and VTG branding can be seen in the video. This also inspired the layout name which I changed to ‘Ashtown Aggregates’.

The layout plan includes 2 sidings similar to the those seen in the Warrington photo, where MMA/JNA and MBA wagons will be unloaded. To add operating interest, there is a siding with a hopper unloading shed where JGAs can be unloaded. This can be accessed via a run around loop.

The scenic portion of the layout measures 6ft x 15ins plus 3ft fiddle yard.

Ashtown Aggregates.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

A couple of Revolution Trains DB MMA wagons recently arrived. They are very expensive but the detailing is quite superb.

I'll have to start saving up for more, luckily I don't need a lot for a small layout. I do envy those who have the funds to order them by the dozen!

dbc mma 003.JPG

• Like 7

Work on the layout has now begun and good progress made.

Track cut and glued in place. The main structures are also in place but not glued down as yet.

Next task will be wiring the layout.

AA 16.10.19 002.JPG

AA 16.10.19 003.JPG

AA 16.10.19 004.JPG

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 18

More progress today.

The last of the warehouse/background buildings has been finished. The rather drab structures have been broken up by the addition of a storage silo similar to the one at Ashville Aggregates. Seems there are no 66s available so a 67 is deputising!

AA 23.10.19 -2 003.JPG

AA 23.10.19 -2 002.JPG

• Like 9

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 18:30, Alcanman said:

More progress today.

The last of the warehouse/background buildings has been finished. The rather drab structures have been broken up by the addition of a storage silo similar to the one at Ashville Aggregates. Seems there are no 66s available so a 67 is deputising!

AA 23.10.19 -2 003.JPG

AA 23.10.19 -2 002.JPG

Coming along treat now...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Nice one.

i loved the video with the bloke that owns Asheville aggregates - he just received 22 “ carriages “ :)

Still you can’t doubt his enthusiasm 

Yes, I noticed his mention of 'carriages' too. Certainly gave me some inspiration for the layout and good to see new railheads like that opening today.

3 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Yes, I noticed his mention of 'carriages' too. Certainly gave me some inspiration for the layout and good to see new railheads like that opening today.

That looks like Thorney mill , near colnbrook - reopened used to be bardon I think 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a lot of progress on the layout this week.

The road bridge has been weathered, a short line of seamoss trees and bushes fill in the gap between the warehouses and the bridge and static grass and tufts also added.

aa10.11.19 002.JPG

aa 9.11.19 001.JPG

• Like 7