Were US style ore docks ever used on English type lines

friscopete

There were rotary tipplers at Ravenglass for transhipment of stone traffic from the 15" Ravenglass and Eskdale wagons to standard gauge wagons.  Somewhat smaller in size than your illustration, but basically the same principle.

I think some of the 3' ironstone tramways of the East Midland iron ore field did as well, but can't find any examples at the moment.  One ceratinly had narrow gauge wagons tipping into buckets on an overhead ropeway, the ropeway discharging into a hopper somewhat like your illustration.

Edited by eastglosmog

H

1 minute ago, Fat Controller said:

Was it Harrogate which had coal drops that fed a narrow-gauge railway?

Don't know on that one but Huddersfield had coal drops that fed the corporation tram system, they looked like wooden bodied trucks with a controller at each end.

Scroll down here

http://jsh1949.co.uk/HUDDERSFIELD FLEET A.htm

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 8 months later...

Yes, there were a few cases that I know of where gravel/shingle extraction operations along the south coast used some fairly large banks of exactly that sort of storage facility pre-WW2. A case in point was the extensive workings at Rye Harbour, where 2ft gauge lines were used to gather shingle, then the skips went up ramps (cable or loco hauled I'm not sure) and were discharged into these, which were then used to fill rail wagons and road lorries. I'm fairly sure that East Sussex Transport and Trading at Exceat Bridge between Lewes and Newhaven had similar.

The advantage of these things must have been that they could be put together pretty quickly, without the need for building stone or the time taken for brickwork, and that they would be good on weak ground, by using timber cills to spread the load. They also let water through, which is good for wet-dredged sand and gravel.

This picture was taken before they were built at Rye Harbour, and seems to show a simpler transhipment. If you zoom in, you can see a guy emptying a skip into a SG wagon. https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW026246 

In this one things have got a lot more advanced, and the bins have got a big grading system and roof over them https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW024813 

Somewhere, I have seen a photo of the intermediate state where they were as per the model kit.

Edited by Nearholmer

ZI-2087-2010-J-F00-LASON-185-1

I've seen a few in the pennine orefields with concrete or stone footings or bases, but the upper works in timber. Presumably things lasted longer in the damp that way.

Now:

St. Peters Mine

I wouldn't say they were common or typical, so far as I'm aware they were used in the uk, but mostly with stone or concrete bases.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1