Jerky Oxford Dean

DCB

An Oxford Dean Goods arrived yesterday, sold as new.   It ran very sweetly when tested and pulled 2 B sets with some difficulty around the layout, slipping on the 1 in 100,  This was reduced to 1 X B set and it ran happily and very smoothly.  However when the novelty wore off we tried stopping at the station and it was not happy.   It crawled when re started on about 3/4 of full power, then jerked briefly to line speed and crawled again.  The centre driving wheel pick up on the left was sparking against the wheel as it crawled.

Plan A was to add weight as my old Triang Chassis K's motor, Airfix body Dean pulls 6 coaches,  so I need to sort the running before I open it up to add lead.

Any suggestions? 

I haven't had hands on one of these. But this here:

28 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

...It crawled when re started on about 3/4 of full power, then jerked briefly to line speed and crawled again...

That's exactly what the one new Chinese made Hornby steam model that I have had with a drive fault did! It was the axle gear not fully secured on the axle. Whether the hole in the moulding was too large, or the axle diameter/knurling too small/smooth to hold the gear in place I know not, Hornby sent a replacement wheelset, and the Q1 has coffeepotted around happily ever since.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have a 28XX with a professionally constructed comet chassis which is in a class of its own, easily the worst running loco on the layout.   Dean works ok at present as long as it does two laps of the layout at 100MPH to blow the cobwebs away before attempting to pull trains.  Wish I had stuck to Hornby Dublo.