Paint and Decal Recommendations for Triang

PatB

As related here

I'm in the rather pointless process of restoring a battered Triang Jinty body, as much for the educational exercise as any practical necessity. The repairs are going to involve the grafting in of sections from a maroon donor shell. As a result, the repaired shell will require painting to hide the bodgery.

I would prefer to keep the loco looking as Triang as possible, and so would like to finish it in the fictional mixed traffic livery chosen by the manufacturer. Can anyone recommend a paint that will achieve an air of shiny black plastic, in keeping with the original finish?

Also, are any lining decals available which give a reasonable approximation of Triang's interpretation of the BR scheme? I suspect that "scale" decals would be rather finer and better detailed than Triang's. ISTR there was an Ebay seller supplying self-adhesive overlays for various Dublo and Triang locos but have heard on here that they have sadly passed away in the last couple of years. 

Tri-ang used two sizes of the post 1956 BR symbol on their lined Jinties. The earlier one is the large size on BR transfer sheets, but later they were smaller, but not as small as the small size on transfer sheets. This seems to have occurred around 1960 so might have been connected with the introduction of TT - a compromise size to suit both maybe. For the black I'd look at a satin style finish rather than high gloss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Tri-ang used two sizes of the post 1956 BR symbol on their lined Jinties. The earlier one is the large size on BR transfer sheets, but later they were smaller, but not as small as the small size on transfer sheets. This seems to have occurred around 1960 so might have been connected with the introduction of TT - a compromise size to suit both maybe. For the black I'd look at a satin style finish rather than high gloss.

In the absence of anything else, I'm probably going to fall back on my usual, generic satin black rattle-can acrylic, as bought from any car accessory shop. Cheap(ish), easy to apply, and gives a nice, "working loco" finish. I just wondered if anyone knew of anything out there that might look a tad more plasticky (which I realise is exactly the opposite of what most of us try to achieve most of the time).

• 2 weeks later...