halsey

Moving an old layout - boards done design ideas please moving forward

10 hours ago, crackedmember said:

Please see a couple of suggestions for improvements to your design.  The Single slip could be replaced by a simple diamond crossing if you decide you do not need a crossover between the running lines at this end of the station.  Either arrangement could be found.  Goods trains travelling in the clockwise direction would probably just drop and pick up wagons.  Shunting would be carried out by the engine of the train travelling in the opposite direction.  Alternatively a small shunting engine might be employed,  the carriage sidings would certainly suggest enough traffic to justify this, especially with the loco stabling present.  If neccessary the crossovers would be used to run round the train.

For the entrance to the loco stabling / goods yard from the  anticlockwise circuit,  having a separate headshunt for the goods yard makes entrance to the loco stabling independent of the yard.

There needs to be at least one loco length between the headshunt and turnout to the loco stabling.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/layout.jpg.b0d95fd424ef1fb7368723b5eedd5f92.jpg

Hope this is of help

Wow you guys are losing me a bit here...………..

If it helps I don't think it matters (to me) if goods only run on the inner loop  - it would be good if something could run on the inner loop and shunting could take place as well

Just on my wish list - if a double slip could be avoided this would be good as I found the one on the old layout a real pain to use esp as it was in a high use location.

I've (by choice) only got a 2 way DC controller and don't ever envisage wanting more than 2 things running at once 

Thanks all...…………….

Edited by halsey

I've been off line for a day or two, this has moved on a bit in the meantime!  I would probably have designed this with DCB's "goods loop" before RMweb taught me that facing points were an evil to be avoided at all costs …. which would lead me to use a single slip (as per CrackedMember's sketch) not a double to give trailing access from the outer circuit but not facing from the inner.  Having the whole of a single goods yard "south" of such a goods loop would allow a nice yard on the bottom right peninsula, getting a siding alongside the baseboard edge acting as a wharf might be a bit convoluted - I'll try and spend some XTrackCad time tomorrow ad see what might develop.  I don't much like the idea of running the goods loop through into the loco sidings though - that doesn't feel right somehow.

Bye for now - footy calls.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just started laying the hidden section and mocking up the bridge on 2mm cork covered 10mm XPS using 14mm track pins which literally just push in to place and it feels very secure - 

Looking forward to seeing chimers further input

All good...……….

Edited by halsey

Early stages of playing with bridge and workshop undershelf areas

I like the XPS/cork above boards idea so far

ALSO I really like (and appreciate) Phil's early design suggestion to bring the bridge area in a bit and at an angle so nothing obstructs the doorway this is a very good idea in use esp as at the moment the bridge track isn't cut so the bridge cant be lifted (I will this sort next) 

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1