Upgrading Bachmann 03 shunter

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

I have one of the original Bachmann 03 shunters. Great body but the horrible split frame chassis. The running is very poor despite taking it apart and cleaning etc. 

Is there anything which can be done to improve things?

Otherwise, I guess it's time for a new chassis. Is high-level the only option and if so, can I reuse the existing wheel sets?

Any other points or comments gratefully received!

High Level and I think Branchlines (Westbury)do etched chassis kits.

The High Level kit will require new wheels and axles. The standard axle is 1/8" diameter but HL may be able to sell you a kit for 2mm diameter axles. I believe the HL kit includes a bespoke gearbox.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

The 04 was the split chassis model and the 03 is the recently retooled variant from Bachmann. The split chassis 03 was a Mainline model not a Bachmann.

With the older split chassis Bachmann models I've found that the white grease hardens and makes the models run a lot slower. Cleaning out the hardened grease and replacing with oil on my split chassis models fixed the slow running for me. They now run fine and I have no issues with them. 

Not quite right...I definitely have a class 03 split chassis under the Bachmann flag...see attached. I assume it is the original mainline loco but rebranded.

15722556059541196010307.jpg

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

I've never seen one of them before, was not even aware Bachmann produced the 03 as a split chassis model. As far as I was aware Bachmann changed the tooling to the 04 when they took it over from Mainline. Not too sure if this is a mainline rebrand or if Bachmann actually put a newer split chassis under it. My guess would be a straight up mainline reband, based on the fact that the wheels and rods are identical to the mainline variant. There is an easy way to tell though, but it involves taking the body off. The models with a Bachmann chassis have a can motor and the Mainline models have a pancake motor. From my experiences the Mainline motors do run worse than the later Bachmann models. 

You can't reuse the wheel sets on a new chassis because these are split chassis models with plastic axles. If you've already cleaned the mechanism and gears then I'm not too sure what to suggest. Did you go as far as to take the two halves of the chassis apart and clean the gearbox out?

I've had it apart. It's not a pancake motor but a "standard" open frame motor driving a plastic spur gear. I've cleaned all the old grease away and applied a small amount of 3 in 1. Some small improvement, but nothing dramatic. 

Bachmann definitely produced an 03. They then changed to an 04, later on producing an all-new 03.

I had 3 of the earlier 03 and 2 of the 04 at one point. As the chassis were interchangeable, I had swapped them around for various reasons; when the new 03 came out I sold the old ones on, putting rhe worst chassis in them. ( or, looking at it the other way, keeping the better ones for the 04s and an 05 Silver Fox body).

Stewart

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

Are you able to service the motor? Thats the only other thing I can think of after cleaning the grease out. The high level chassis is an option but there is also the newly tooled 03 with a new bodyshell and chassis. 

What would be involved in servicing it?  I cleaned the commutator with cotton buds moistened with wd40. Didn't check or look at the brushes though. 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, stewartingram said:

WD40???? Nooooooooooo keep away from that.

Stewart

Ok so I've cleaned off all the wd40. It's now very noisy. What do I lubricate it with? 

On 28/10/2019 at 09:40, ikcdab said:

Not quite right...I definitely have a class 03 split chassis under the Bachmann flag...see attached. I assume it is the original mainline loco but rebranded.

15722556059541196010307.jpg

Edited by paul-dereham
Posted before complete. I also have one of these in blue

On 29/10/2019 at 18:10, ikcdab said:

Ok so I've cleaned off all the wd40. It's now very noisy. What do I lubricate it with? 

WD40 isnt  a lubricant, the WD stands for Water Dispersant, try a proper model oil.

• RMweb Gold

Lubricate it as sparingly as you can get away with using a high quality non-mineral machine oil from a reputable model shop that understands that mineral oils can attack plastics and nylon gears; Antics in my case.  Invest at the same time in a hypodermic syringe to apply it to awkward places, otherwise apply it on the end of a pin.  Obviously, keep the hypo with your modelling tools and absolutely as far away as possible from any other hypo used in your home, whatever the purpose.  

Clean the old grease and any lube applied to the loco in the past off completely along with any muck.  I use electronic switch cleaner in a rattlecan which is powerful enough to blow most of it away.  If there's any residue, spray cleaner on to a tissue and clean it, then go up the pub for a few hours while it evaporates off, then apply the new lube to the points indicated in the service sheet that came in the box (which is available as a free PDF from Bachmann's website if you quote the 37-xxx number).  Reassemble the loco ensuring that the keeper plate is evenly screwed down finger tight plus a nip, and run in.  It should be quieter immediately, and certainly in a very short time.  When it sounds sweet, try and get it to run as slowly as possible, and when you are satisfied with it, go back up the pub to celebrate.