Lima Class 40 bogie mountings/cutouts

I'm going to be building an MTK Class 40 kit soon. I've obtained 2x Lima bogies to power the beast, but obviously a scratchbuilt chassis will be required. I'm sure I'm not the first person to attempt this method of powering such a project, but would appreciate hints from those who have already tackled it. Obviously it's the chassis cutout and bogie mounting that are key - the only Lima diesel I've ever had is a Class 08, so my knowledge of them is very limited.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Don't have a Lima 40 to look at but Lima power bogie mounting was variations on a theme of a pad on top centre of each bogie frame to bear on a  flat location on the chassis underside, with retention of the bogie in the chassis by means of moulded projections which engaged above an internal lip inside the chassis moulding.

For the weight of a model from Colin's castings, I'd think to use a piece of brass channel as the basis of the chassis and cut the necessary holes and locations into it.

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Don't have a Lima 40 to look at but Lima power bogie mounting was variations on a theme of a pad on top centre of each bogie frame to bear on a  flat location on the chassis underside, with retention of the bogie in the chassis by means of moulded projections which engaged above an internal lip inside the chassis moulding.

For the weight of a model from Colin's castings, I'd think to use a piece of brass channel as the basis of the chassis and cut the necessary holes and locations into it.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Yes, given the weight of the body, my normal method with such things - 2x 40 thou pieces of plastikard together and work from there - is very possibly not going to be strong enough on its own.

It will be an interesting issue to resolve :)

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a bit late on this, but have you considered a pair of the power bogies from the early triang 31/37's, I have an MTK peak and class 25 where the builders both filed down the sides of the bogies and then glued the  white metal castings ,and used the MTK mounting bracket with insulating pads.

the result looks good and has plenty of traction.