Workbench Depth

I’m currently working towards a new modelling workbench and I was considering using a 635mm deep kitchen worktop.

After I’ve installed 150mm of storage drawers for tools, paints, random stuff etc., I’m left with 485mm; about 19” in old money.

Will that be sufficient? Anyone have less and need more? Anyone have more and needs less?

Notes…

I’m going to use an A2 cutting mat which is 420mm deep.

Width is not an issue

I’m modelling in OO (and possibly O)

• RMweb Premium

I went for a 60cm deep unit, but then added a further 40cm unit on the back for storage (3D printer will go on the shelf too). More than enough, but it's always good to have elbow room. The left and right sides will have pegboards attached for holding tools.

IMG_20190925_184111.jpg

22 hours ago, wirey33 said:

I’m currently working towards a new modelling workbench and I was considering using a 635mm deep kitchen worktop.

There’s a very good reason why kitchen units are that depth (and height, for that matter). Any more than 600mm / 2ft deep and it becomes a bit of a stretch to reach the back. Amongst other things I do a bit of wood and metal butchery, and the same rules apply there. My woodworking bench (which also gets used for all sorts of other things) is 2ft deep and 3ft high, much like a kitchen unit. 

• RMweb Premium

I generally go for a deeper bench but that's because I have stuff mounted at the back such as those mini draws.  Or on my electronics bench,  DMM,  scope Etc. 

So yes 2ft working space with an allowance at the back for what you wish keep there..