OO Scale-link locomotive driving wheels

Evening all,

I normally use Alan Gibson wheels but for one project that I have planned it will be easier to use wheels that are self-quarting, so I am considering Scale-link wheels but have never used them before and so I have a few questions that I hope you won't mind answering.

How deep are the flanges?

What is the thickness of the wheels?

What back-to-back measurement does using the Scale-link axles give?

Thanks

in my limited experience they are finer than Romfords not as fine as RP 25 Markits, and can actually shed a tyre from time to time.

The wheels from Motorbogies.com ( no connection)Have similar ABS centres but are close to RP25 profile and therefore finer.

scale link EM gauge axles are v. similar to Romfords  the BtB is  about16.5mm , matching EMGS gauges.

the flanges  canhit the chairs of some rtr track , which Markits ans the 3mm one from motorbogies do not. but then the older Romfords do

on the whole I would suggest that Markits are best but v hard to get hold of at the moment the mb ones are next then the scalelink ones. I have used all four types and there is no real difference if you are careful fitting them

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Robert. I've just looked on the motorbogies site and I don't understand what's going on there because they show a OO 16mm dia. wheel as being a scale 5ft. 4in.

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=115 All the other wheel dimensions are also given with a similar oversize.

They also want £7.50 to post 4 wheels! I'm not paying that just for postage.

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

Thanks, Robert. I've just looked on the motorbogies site and I don't understand what's going on there because they show a OO 16mm dia. wheel as being a scale 5ft. 4in.

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=115 All the other wheel dimensions are also given with a similar oversize.

Even with the 00 ones the size is as for 3mm scale, and looking just at a couple the packet in the picture is marked as Romford and 3SMR (3mm scale model railways).

Odd that the are labelled as Romford, if they are not the same profile as old Romfords or RP25 Markits?

Edited by johnarcher

6 hours ago, Ruston said:

ouch! didnt cost that when I bought them , it was awhile ago though, what size do you want I have some 16mm Romfords and some of the motorbogies same size , let me know

robert