31-368DS 03 with Factory fitted sound

meatloaf

Has anyone got one of these yet?

There out and Digitrains have put a video up and it sounds pretty good.

Very tempted to get one but im wondering what its performance is like over insulfrogs as I have an older 6 pin 03 and its not great over pointwork at all and spends most if its time in the box.

4 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Has anyone got one of these yet?

There out and Digitrains have put a video up and it sounds pretty good.

Very tempted to get one but im wondering what its performance is like over insulfrogs as I have an older 6 pin 03 and its not great over pointwork at all and spends most if its time in the box.

Are all the pick ups bearing on the back of the wheels correctly?

Have you tested it by turning the loco upside down and using wires direct onto one wheel on each side at a time and, as the wheel rotates, ease it from side to side to ensure the pickups remain in contact with the wheels at all times.

All you have proved by it running on plain line is that at least 1 pickup is in contact with the wheels on both sides.

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, royaloak said:

All you have proved by it running on plain line is that at least 1 pickup is in contact with the wheels on both sides.

Agree, plain track running proves only what RoyalOak has said. Test each wheel individually. Both my "Mk2"  03's needed the pichups tweaking to get decent running

Stu

Not the prefered solution to poor electrical connections, but there's plenty of space for a compact Stay Alive, and Bachmann have thoughtfully provided solder pads on the PCB (V- and V+) to which the negative and positive poles of the capacitors (respectively) should be connected.

Of course, if none of the pick ups ever make contact with the wheels, even a Stay Alive will not be able to charge up.

Bachmann's own bargain* sound-fitted 03 will be available soon.

*That is, at £80 premium over the basic analogue examples (advertised discounted prices) it's cheaper than buying and fitting a sound decoder yourself and no installation work needed. (Although Bachmann have also made this so easy that its almost 'plug and play').

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

I've got one of these and it's basically useless. The decoder constantly trips out on any type of track imperfection. 

I can run the old split chassis version over dead frogs no problem. 

And the sound is poor when it does work. 

I'm guessing the only way to make this a 'useful engine' is fitting stay alive. Why don't Bachmann add this to the chip? It'd cost them about another 50p on a £170 plus loco. 

Phil Mason

Edited by Phil Mason

• 2 weeks later...

well bought one to shunt stock in my station and i must say disappointed, find there is little weight and wont even pull 4 mk1s on a straight piece of track that's flat so dog doo doo. think one to add to the get rid of pile, must say Bachmann are really disappointing me recently.

• 2 weeks later...