Spireblade

Losing my rag with Railmaster...alternatives?

As my thread title says, I am losing it with Railmaster. Various issues after a decent length of time without any but I feel I need to move on to a better, more adaptable and reliable software.

Firstly I am using an Elite, and not everyones cup of tea, but I like it and I am happy with it. Whatever software I choose, it needs to be able to run with the Elite as I cannot afford a new controller at this point.

Any suggestions? nothing too complicated, just reliable.

Cheers folks

Rocrail works with Elite and every other piece of hardware yet invented. Well documented and a lively forum. Usually updated every night and the support is excellent. 

Edit - what exactly are the problems you are having with RM because the majority of config problems are found to be due to finger trouble. None of this computer stuff is PnP, you have to work at it a little bit to get it configured correctly.

Edited by RAF96

I have issues with Railmaster recognising  the loco decoders mainly. Most are reading as UNOBTAINABLE which makes it difficult to change CV's and loco ID numbers. Nearly every loco I put on the programming track has problems with this or repeatedly attempting to get the CV values. It is taking hours to get them sorted. All because I am trying to sort out my loco list as I have changed a few old ones for new. There are other minor issues but nothing I can't handle. I am also a bit fed up with the Windows 98 style graphics but that is just my own preference.

Does your Elite program normally as loss of PROG output is a known failure mode. 

With regard to the decoders not being recognised. You can right click on CV7 in the read decoder screen and select your decoder from a drop down list. This forces RM to load the correct CV list for that decoder and from there it should read correctly.

• Like 1

Ahhh...thanks . I wasn't aware of that. I'll check it out.

I have never used the Elite for programming, just controlling the loco's. I have always used Railmaster.

I have reinstalled Railmaster and it seems to be working fine for the moment. It must have become corrupted in some way.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Spireblade said:

I have reinstalled Railmaster and it seems to be working fine for the moment. It must have become corrupted in some way.

That's a trick to remember then.

Glad you got sorted & thanks for posting the answer. It is nice to see a solution rather than a problem, some suggestions & then nothing. :D

• Like 1

It's a bit of a ballache but thankfully it remembered my Propack and track plans. I only had to re enter the loco ID's again. It still dosen't like certain decoders but on the whole it's now fine.

You shouldn’t ever have to clean reinstall RM but you should check (almost daily) that you are using the latest revision by downloading from the link on the Hornby forum RM page. The reason being that although there are puka auto-updates for regular revisions HRMS has a habit of slipping in uncontrolled micro updates usually just to add locos to the database but at times to covertly fix bugs. All very un-industry standard methodology unfortunately.

• Like 1