Class 73 - Caledonian Sleeper modifications

Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Gold

This thread has been a little mean spirited I’ve felt in places, so I was going to take my ball away.

however.. here’s my video of the entire preparation / shunt processes of the 73/9 in Inverness. I have hi-res stills available if you need at any point from the video.

heres a few my 9 year old took whilst I was videoing..

B5B7D3A5-C42C-4B01-8610-E595AAB53FF7.png

852DCF84-FECC-4D1C-A40A-84F5116501DB.jpeg

430B62FD-5D97-4B3E-BD7E-F066F1997154.jpeg

3D97701E-9D30-40C6-82E3-621A99C7C2F6.jpeg

CD2362BA-2535-46A3-8E97-C35B88419E40.jpeg

08A05C6B-D4FA-488B-B2E7-A9CE71F0B2BB.jpeg

08D610E8-D772-4C5F-80F9-9A89788B7EE9.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Great to have more photos - always useful.

The Shapeways print has arrived - so that's another bit of the puzzle in place.

Not sure about it though as the front does not appear to be correct/

Photo to follow later - once the daylight has appeared and the camera battery has charged.

Thanks

Phil H

From a visual aspect - what the OP asked for !! I am not sure about the centre windscreens which of course used to be the headcode displays.  Pretty sure I read initially that they would not be see-through and you will note some of the photos in this thread suggest a shiny black panel, which actually could be like the black vinyl similar to the old domino headcode boxes.  However.......

The more recent photos of 73969 and 73970 above clearly show clear glass in the central window and windscreen wipers for the same pane. If I had to guess, I would say the centre windscreens have been modified after release t traffic as 73/9s.

Re the third rail capability - i believe all the 73/9s are capable of operating on the third rail, but the Scottish batch have had the shoes and shoe beams removed whilst in Scotland (however long that may be).  The Southern batch 73961-73965 operate regularly on the 750V and although the CS ones have mods, they are both to the basic 73/9 design *.

* not including the Cummins powered "Minions"    

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Premium

From a modelling viewpoint, I don't think the roof area is the same on the CS loco's as it is on the GBRf ones.

The GBRf ones don't have the cut-outs just behind the cab dome. (there may also be other differences.)

I have some (admittedly not particularly good pics, they were taken in very dark conditions !!) roof pics of the GBRf ones, which may be of use for the parts common to both batches, if anyone thinks they might help ?

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

From a modelling viewpoint, I don't think the roof area is the same on the CS loco's as it is on the GBRf ones.

The GBRf ones don't have the cut-outs just behind the cab dome. (there may also be other differences.)

I have some (admittedly not particularly good pics, they were taken in very dark conditions !!) roof pics of the GBRf ones, which may be of use for the parts common to both batches, if anyone thinks they might help ?

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Yes, the roof area modifications are different for the CS locos.

It's more than just the cut outs behind the cab, the sizes of the other cutouts are different.

Anyway - now started the modelling. Farish coaches stripped and getting the overlays done over the next couple of days.

The Shapeways 73/9 will get a coat of primer as well.

Thanks

Phil H

ps - will try and remember some photos as I do the modelling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Started working on the CL73/9 yesterday.....

Forgive the slightly out of focus effect - very difficult trying to take phots of a translucent bodyshel!

It's currently drying out after a coat or two of primer.

Photos of that to follow tomorrow.

Thanks

Phil H

73-9 - 3.JPG

73-9 - 2.JPG

73-9 - 1.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...